*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142866-Waiting-for-someone
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2142866
A romance grounded in reality.
She sat in the corner seat by the window. It was her usual spot in this coffe shop. The rain fell on the window panes. The tapping of raindrops reminded her of a distant memory. She was here before many years ago, in the exact same spot.
She was here with a man who's name she has already forgotten. She only remembered the calm scent of his cologne, the roughness of his stubble, and the love in his eyes. He loved her with all his heart, and she loved him back. They knew they were going to last. They were ready to to overcome anything the world threw at them. It was just like a dream: blissful, beautiful, and fleeting.
One day, the dream ended. The man had to leave to a faraway place. On their final day, they had one last date, one last dinner, and one last night together. As they went for a stroll in the cool night air, they reminisced about the times they had.
"Remember our first date at the coffee shop?"
"Oh yes, it was horrible. I meant the rain of course."
"The rain ruined all my plans."
"And then we had to awkwardly make conversation in the corner seat by the window."
"I tried my best."
"I know you did. You always did..." her voiced trailed off.
The night air was getting chilly. It's already late November. A cold breeze rustled the dried leaves.
"Of course. For you, my dear, I always give you my all."
She nodded with a hint of saddness.
"Don't forget to write to me."
"Of course."
"Call me from time to time."
"I will."
"Let me visit you on the holidays."
"For sure."
She gave him a kiss. It was a kiss with her heart and soul, a kiss that defined her very existence. He held her tight in his arms.
"Don't worry, we will always be together."
She gave him another kiss. This time, it was a playful one, a light touch of the lips.
"I will hold you to that," she replied.
He held her tighter.

"Mommy!"
She was called to present by the shrill voice of her daughter.
"Yes my dear?"
"Mommy let's go! Daddy's here!"
A small hand tugged at her sleeve. She took the tiny hand at her sleeve and stood up to go.
"Ma'am, mind if I have this spot?" a man's voice called. It was a familiar voice.
"Of course, I am just about to leave."
She caught a nostalgic, calming scent of cologne. She looked up and saw a man with a rough stubble.
"Thank you miss. Dear, I found a spot!" the man thanked her and looked for his partner. He had a love in his eyes that she must have seen somewhere.
The tiny hand yanked at her finger insistently.
"You're welcome. I'll be on my way now."
And she left the shop into the umbrella of her husband.
© Copyright 2017 Rising Sun (kleeyle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142866-Waiting-for-someone