*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142959-Magical-Christmas
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #2142959
A dog's magical Christmas
Magical Christmas


There once was a dog named Dimitri that believed in all of the magic of Christmas. His family had always involved their puppy in the celebrations of the season. Dimitri loved decorating the tree with his milk bones. He howled his jingles, jangles, and carols with pride. So quick he was, to grab the window seat for the family jaunt to look at lights. His Santa bow tie was so stylish to see at Christmas dinner and midnight mass. The children were delighted to see the merry pup in his holiday attire. Christmas was Dimitri's favorite time of the year.


Each Christmas Eve he waited patiently for Santa, as any good dog would do. He was excited at the wonderful gifts that Santa would bring. There would be presents for the family and presents for him. On Christmas morn, they would all take turns inspecting their baubles. He couldn't wait to see what surprises Santa would bring.

On one snowy Eve, as the story goes, Dimitri heard the clatter of hooves on the roof. The dog dashed to greet his reindeer friends and give Santa his cookie treat. He knew all of the reindeer by name. There was Dasher, Donner, Blitzen, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, and sometimes Rudolf. The dog could barely contain his joy at seeing his buddies again. Dimitri jumped off of the porch, onto his dog house, up to the shed, and over onto the roof. He wagged his tail in holiday cheer being sure to greet each gift giving deer. The pup was at first dismayed to find Vixen was not there. In her stead was a beautiful reindeer named Lorelei. Dimitri fell in love with the deer at first sight. Santa explained that Vixen was sick with a terrible blight. Lorelei was the best flying reindeer available this night.

Dimitri sang his howling song," Santa please tell Vixen, I hope and pray that my friend will be alright."

Santa laughed his belly laugh. "Yes my good puppy, I shall bring Vixen your well wishes. Do not worry Dimitri, the doctor tells us that Vixen will be well by the New Year."

"Such good news" the dog replied.

Of Santa the dog requested to remain with the reindeer while he went inside. Santa, the jolly soul, granted the canine's wish.

Dimitri danced and pranced for the reindeer. He did high flying leaps, tipsy toesies, and ballet pirouettes all in an effort to impress the new woodland caribou. To Lorelei the reindeer, he sang his song of love. He crooned and cooed to win her heart. Rudolph turned off his light at the ridiculous sight. The other reindeer giggled and refused to play these reindeer games. Up on the rooftop, Dimitri dashed about the snow showing off his stylish attire. His doggy heart was all aflutter.

With an awkward chuckle, he pointed to the mistletoe above their heads.

The dear little reindeer, sweet Lorelei was heard to say,"My doggy-doo. I so love you."

Dimitri cried for joy. He was heard to utter, for he didn't stutter. "Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night."

Thus was born the rein-dog as we know it today. Santa now knows better than to leave the reindeer unattended. His helper elves stand guard. Dimitri went down in history. He receives a lump of coal in his stocking each year but Santa still brings presents for his rein-pup.

Word count 572





© Copyright 2017 L.A. Grawitch (lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142959-Magical-Christmas