*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142967-Memories-of-Christmas
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2142967
Gift of a child
Memories of Christmas

Christmas for me, is special indeed. A time of family, love, and celebrations we share. We gather in joy of one another. We join together to mark another years passage. We revel in the festivities of the season. We rejoice in our blessings from above. We honor and welcome the Lord into our lives.

Midnight mass at our Cathedral fills me with serenity. The lights on the trees a shimmering blue, paint a peaceful calm. The wreaths of greenery witness a long tradition standing. Red bows of velvet adorn in regal style. Music of the choirs revisit favorite carols of my youth. Beauty and grace represented by the beautiful Nativity before me.

Never far from my thoughts, is a memory so dear to me, of a Christmas past. My daughter so small and sweet, at the age of four, learned the true meaning of Christmas. The child was dressed in her frilly apparel of a pink dainty dress and white patent shoes. She sported a hat decked out in ribbons and jewels. Her pride of the day was the purse that she carried having received it that night. The purse was shiny and new with a clasp of gold. Inside of the purse was a crisp new dollar bill that was part of her gift. With a child's mind, she believed that the contents of her purse brought prosperity. She dreamed and talked about all that her dollar would buy.

As was our family custom, we attended midnight mass. The children had all napped so were eager to see their church family. We lined the pew as a family in observance of our faith. Soon the collection basket for the poor was brought before us. My little munchkin danced daintily down the pew to grab the man holding the basket. She opened her purse so wide to find her dollar inside. She grasped the single bill to add to the pile. She laid it ever so gently in the wicker pan. She smiled and whispered to the man, "Merry Christmas"

I will always remember this simple gift of love for a child to bestow. Touched by the sight were the many members of the congregation. They opened their wallets wide that night just as a child had shown them. The spirit of Christmas giving was alive and well that night because of one little girl.


Word count 395

© Copyright 2017 L.A. Grawitch (lgrawitch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142967-Memories-of-Christmas