*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143702-The-Last-Ingredient
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2143702
Three Minute Read
The Last Ingredient

Jack became aware that he was staring at a swirl of leaves through a window. He had no idea where he was. Holding down momentary panic, he slowly looked around. It was a bedroom, not his. He didn’t know what time it was, but it was light enough that he knew he was probably going to be late for work.

Searching through his fogginess, he began to remember. Janice invited him to a dinner party. He’d been surprised, barely knowing her. Was this Janice’s bedroom? Probably not, too bare, Janice appeared to be more high maintenance. A guest room? Had he gotten so drunk that he passed out?

He could only remember the one drink. Just as he arrived, Janice met him at the door with it. He’d sipped it as he joined the other guests, suddenly feeling uncomfortable since he didn’t know anyone except Janice, though they all seemed to know one another really well. He’d started looking for Janice, wondering why she’d invited him. He couldn’t remember anything else.

He got up unsteadily and really thirsty, there was no water in the room. He went to the door intending to find the kitchen, but it was locked. Now panic did take hold.

Rushing to the window, he looked out. He was in a forest now rather than Janice’s apartment building. Looking down he saw many people gathered around a large pot, boiling in a clearing next to this building. He immediately recognized some from last night. They were all dressed in strange robes now. Janice, in a gold robe, was stirring the pot. She suddenly looked up, directly at him and smiled. Her smile sent a cold shudder through his entire body.

Jack suddenly realized he wouldn’t be needing to worry about getting to work on time anymore.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143702-The-Last-Ingredient