*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143707-Stell
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Draft · Drama · #2143707
Just a start
"Sure Stell, no problem" Harry said. Harry really wasn't a bad guy even if he was six years younger than me, according to Marge. Although, sometimes I wonder where she gets her information from. Harry always had a smile on his chubby face and he has been the only man that's taken any interest in me since Martin died. Martin was a good man. Hard working, a very loyal companion, but unfortunately had a bad heart. He was found slumped over the steering wheel of his delivery truck early one morning half way through his Italian bread route. It's too bad we never got married.
"Can I get ya another drink miss?....miss?" Jeez, who's he kidding "Yes, please I'll have another, thank you" I said to the bartender and handed him my empty, lipstick stained glass. I've already drained two gin and tonics. This is about the time I start to lose count. Where the hell is Harry? I don't believe he told me to meet him here.
Harry was sort of an old friend of Martin's. More of a neighborhood friend though, not really a close one. Martin introduced us at a wedding we attended one day and then I started running into him in all parts of town. He is the kind of person that likes to sneak up on you and playfully grab or poke various parts of your anatomy. "Gotcha". He'd always say. Sometimes it was annoying and often appeared crude, but it was nice to know someone had an interest in you.
"Say, excuse me lady, can I borrow your lighter?" I turned to my left and looked into a pair of glassy blue eyes resembling marbles. A cigarette was dangling from his crusty lips and he was in desperate need of a shave. "Sure, go ahead" I said. He slide his arm across the wood bar and picked up my silver lighter. Igniting his cigarette he neatly placed the lighter on top of my purse. "I don't think I've ever seen you in here before" he said with a dopey, drunken grin on his face. "No you probably haven't. I've never been in here. I'm just waiting for someone" I said hoping he would get the hint and leave me alone. "Well my name's Tom" he said extending his calloused hand while looking me straight in the eye. I glanced at his hand and slowly placed mine into his. He cupped our handshake with his left and pulled them towards his chest. In barely a whisper he said "if there is anything I could do for you, you just let me know, ok?" Jeez, this guy must really be desperate. "Yeah, yeah, sure" I said, as my rings began biting into the soft flesh of my fingers. "You look like you could use a friend" he said. Jeez, who told him? With a slight struggle I slipped my hand out of his grip and sternly repeated "I said I'm waiting for someone." "Okay, okay." he said, defensively lifting his arms as if to ward me off. A final shrug of his shoulders he walked around to my right and to the end of the bar. Out of the corner of my eye I followed him. Taking me by complete surprise I saw half a dozen pairs of wide penetrating eyes complete with gaping mouths forming a direct line down the bar, obviously observing the entire confrontation. Jesus Christ, Harry what the hell kind of place is this. Shuddering slightly I placed my hands in my lap and smooth out my skirt several times, checked my reflection in the mirror behind the bar and lit a cigarette. Five more minutes. If he doesn't show up by then I'm leaving. It was then that I felt a sharp poke on each side of my ribs almost causing me to hit the ceiling. "Gotcha" cried Harry. I turned around and saw him smiling from ear to ear, jowls shaking from laughter. "Where have you been Harry? I was just getting ready to leave" I said. "What? Oh, hey I sorry Stell I got tied up in some traffic. Hey you look really great Stell. Come on down to the other end of the bar I want you to meet some friends of mine".

© Copyright 2017 backsight (backsight at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2143707-Stell