*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144015-Motivation-2nd-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #2144015
Shane felt the wind on his skin as he glided on the waves. Then a shadow appeared below.
Shane reached out his hand and skimmed the water. The water peppered an adjacent wave as his bare feet clung to the board. The wind pushing the sail.

The sunlight danced upon the ocean like a prima ballerina. This is so much better than snow back home. Although it could use a few more trees.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw something. A shadow - A large shadow that pushed through the water like a torpedo. A chill ran up the star surfer's spine. He'd seen this before - a shark. But he first had to judge what kind. He knew on a surfboard he looked somewhat like a great white's favorite meal - a seal. But with that thought, he knew also that he wasn't splashing. He knew that splashing only attracts attention and you don't want that with a shark in the neighborhood.

Once again, he spotted it. It seemed curious only. If he fell in it could be disaster. His heart raced.

Shane's awareness heightened as he felt the wind shift. He adjusted his sail. Flicked the board and careened across the water like a stone. His eyes fell upon another surfer. He thought briefly of calling out a warning, but kept quiet.

His board felt light and he overtook the competitor crossing the finish line between two boats. A cheer from each boat erupted.

"Man, how did you catch me?" The other surfer turned and shook his head.

"It wasn't easy, but it was a lot easier once that shark started chasing me."

"Very funny. I know you caught that last wind change just right. I thought I had you."

Shane looked at the guy and simply pointed.

The man's face turned. A fin popped above the surface. "That's a great white."



297 Words
Must Include the words: Snow, Tree, Star
Flash Fiction Contest Entry

© Copyright 2017 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144015-Motivation-2nd-Place