*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144142-A-chance-encounter-on-Christmas
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Holiday · #2144142
A Hit-man has a heartfelt encounter.
Christmas was never filled with happy memories for me. Christmas for me only brings up the cold and painful memories of my past.
When I walk around and see the happy families preparing for Christmas I don't see people, I see price tags. I am not a complete monster however, even I have rules and morals. I would never take a hit on children, and I never take a hit for less than 100k.

It is Christmas Eve night yet everything is empty. A thick layer of snow blankets all of the buildings and sidewalks, snowflakes are spiraling from the sky, every building is lit up with Christmas lights, but it is all meaningless without anyone to enjoy it with. I have gotten over the loneliness of my profession years ago, but at the same time it leaves me with void feelings.

"I am going to have to move to a new city soon, this damn cold is getting on my nerves" I mutter to myself as I trudge down the sidewalk nearly ankle deep in snow. As I pass by an alleyway something odd catches my eye. I spot a small girl, no older than 8, with golden hair and deep blue eyes huddled up in a cardboard box looking half frozen to death crying to herself.

She isn't the first or last person I have seen on the streets during these cold holidays, and as someone who ends lives on a regular basis I shouldn't care about her fate. But for some reason my frozen heart ached when I saw her withering away there. For a reason even unknown to myself I decide to help this little girl.

I walked down the alleyway and approached the girl. "Hey little girl whats wrong? Why are you out on the streets alone?" I Asked softly.

"M-m-my daddy kept hurting me when he got drunk, so I ran away from h-home. B-but I'm really cold and scared! I-I don't know what to d-do." The little girl cried out with tears in her eyes.

"My name is Alex, whats your name little girl?" I ask her with a warm, calming smile.

"A-annie" Annie chocked out with tears still streaming down..

"Here Annie, take my scarf and wipe off your tears. If you aren't too scared you can come with me and get off of these cold streets." I said as gently and kind as I could.

Annie wiped away her tears and reluctantly decided to crawl out of her box.

"My apartment is nearby so lets hurry there so you don't freeze to death" I chuckled

Annie nods with a slight smerk on her cold, teared up face as we walk off to my apartment.

As we are walking I start to wonder why exactly I decided to take pity on Annie. Could it be that she reminded him of himself when he was younger? Or maybe was it just a whim? Whatever the reason may be, I have chosen to help this little girl, and that is what I am going to do.

"We are here, welcome to my home." I say as I open the door to my apartment.

"Go sit down at the couch by the fireplace, Ill make us some hot chocolate" I warmly tell Annie as I head to the kitchen right next to the living room."

Annie nods her head and sits down by the fireplace, looking a bit less sad than earlier you note. After preparing two mugs of hot chocolate I walk over to Annie.

"Here's your hot chocolate, be careful its hot." I say smiling.

Annie accepted the drink and I sat down next to her.

After all this kindness Annie started to break down into tears again, "Alex why are you being s-so nice to me, my daddy was so mean to me and was n-never this nice to me" Annie sobbed

I embraced her and reassured her "Don't cry, your daddy was wrong to be so mean to you, but I will never treat you that way. You remind me a lot of myself when I was younger, my dad treated me and my mom horribly. You won't have to go through that anymore, you can stay here with me and you won't ever have to be treated badly by your daddy ever again."

Annie sobbing started to go away as she asked "Do you really mean that? Can I really stay with you?"

"Of course, you can stay here as long as you want" I reply with sincerity.

I am not really sure what I was thinking when I said this. Should I really be taking care of a child? Doing this would mean giving up my career as a hit man, as I would never be able to take others lives while also taking care of one. It feels like my frozen decrepit heart has been melted by this little girls warm soul. I have a new purpose other than just taking the lives of others. I have a real reason to live.

I tucked Annie into bed and wished her goodnight. Christmas had always been empty and pointless to me, but I felt that Annie deserved a proper Christmas after all she had been through. After Annie fell asleep I left the house and bought a bunch of Christmas lights, ornaments, and presents. I even managed to find a last minute Christmas tree! I went home and set everything up as quietly as I could to surprise Annie in the morning.

When Christmas morning rolled in I woke Annie up and urged her to come to the living room.

"Merry Christmas!" I shouted as I revealed to her all the decorations and presents.

"Wow, you did all this for me? This is the best Christmas ever!" Annie exclaimed as she hugged me.

"Merry Christmas" I softy reply again as I embrace her back, holding back a tear.

Christmas had always been a dead, lonely holiday for someone like me. However this little girl Annie had finally given Christmas a true purpose for me. Annie has warmed my cold, solemn heart.

© Copyright 2017 Aevitas (aevitas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144142-A-chance-encounter-on-Christmas