*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144441-Teenage-Apocalypse
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2144441
I was inspired to write this piece of flash fiction by a drawing I saw on Instagram.
The last thing I packed was my toothbrush. Good dental hygiene was important to me. I grabbed my duffle bag and closed the door of the crappy motel room I had rented last night. I walked down the rusty metal staircase and sat down on the edge of the last step. It was dawn and I could feel the cold seeping through my converse shoes and jeans. I pulled out my phone. My ride on TravelWise was 8 minutes out. I sighed and took a granola bar out of the front zipper of my duffle. I bit into it, grimacing as it mixed with the flavor of my toothpaste. Minty fresh and peanut butter. I chewed and swallowed. I looked out across the empty street and pass the desert that stretched for miles before me. I finished my snack and watched the wrapper blow away. I liked the feeling of insignificance I experienced from being in a wide-open space all alone. Most people, my family included, would rather stay at home clutching each other and praying for mercy. I just wanted to see a new sunrise in as many cities as I could, while there was still time left. The hotels vacancy sign buzzed faintly in a nearby window and my cell phone dropped its signal. I constantly felt the world running past me while I struggled to go at my own pace. I just wanted everything and everyone to slow down.

A car drove up and stopped a few feet away from me. I stood up and they rolled down the window. The song Cigarettes After Sex was playing on the radio. “Are you Jordan?” The driver asked me. He looked like a cool dude. He wore a beanie, had a scruffy beard and according to my ride sharing app his name was Derrick. There were a few other people in the car, all around my age. I got in and introduced myself as we pulled away from the curb. One of the girls in the back leaned forward and asked, “Where you from?” “East,” I answered,” and you?” She laughed and said, “Florida. What’s left of it after The Floods. Where in the East?”
Derrick interrupted, “Chill Nikki,” Then he turned to me. “Sorry about my sister, we don’t meet a lot of new people. Not many travel these days.”
I replied, “Not many have the guts. I just can’t stand knowing I’ll die without seeing what’s out there.” He grinned, “I feel it, you’re a Drifter.” “I guess I am.” I said. “End of times sucks,” Nikki piped from the back seat.
© Copyright 2017 AL_Moyer (al_moyer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144441-Teenage-Apocalypse