*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144964-The-Giving-Tree-Receives
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Draft · Other · #2144964
This is my idea for a sequel to The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstien
The original story leaves off with the Giving Tree reduced to a stump after giving all of herself to the man who had grown up with her. The tree, although now a stump, is pleased to offer him a place to sit and rest.

Through the years she has given him the use of her resources the old man had kept some of her saplings safely in a jar.
One day the old man walks out of his home that he had built from the tree. He walked over to her and sat down to rest and talk with her. While they talk he reflects on all that she has “Given” him.

All day he sits with her until the night is finally upon them. Before saying goodnight to her he removes from his coat pocket the four saplings. Kneeling beside her the old man uses her once more to hold himself up while he carefully plants the saplings by her side.

The seasons changed, and the springtime came around. Looking out at the clear view of the tree from his kitchen window, the old man sees four brand new trees standing tall and proud.
The Giving Tree weeps with immeasurable joy to be with her children.
The old man is also weeping at the window in the home that she had provided for him.
The old man smiled and said to himself “now, I am happy.”
© Copyright 2018 Shakesbeard (jhtk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2144964-The-Giving-Tree-Receives