*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2145482-Last-Minutes
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2145482
What do you see standing at the end?

Here I stand, listening as he reads, in a somber voice, from the book of judgment, reciting my crimes. Little does he know of those not recorded. Yet my crimes are trivial compared to those of the powerful self-righteous. Their crimes are not crimes because they write the law to make their outrages legal. The coined word is "loophole."

I survey the crowd observing me. Strangely, I am able to see into them -- beyond the skin and bones -- into their soul. Some eagerly wait for a spectacle. Others feel discomfort, recognizing the luck of the draw put me here instead of them. Will their day come before they meet their maker naturally? Still, others stand confident that God has given them the solemn duty to carry out his vengeance, not comprehending that God gives not a rip about them or me. One stands beside me, feigning remorse for my soul, while he secretly thinks about his next adventure stealing the innocence of one of his alter boys. A few shed heartfelt tears, trying to reconcile this absurd social ritual with their belief on where we stand with God. Off to the edge of the crowd, stand two who will pick a few pockets. Close at hand stands the one who makes his living carrying out the edicts of the state. In his soul, I see nothing. No compassion for the victims, no satisfaction in supposed justice. Just a job to be done by one who somehow finds himself at this position in society - respected, feared, loathed -- doing what no others have the courage or stomach to do.

I fear what is about to happen, yet this cannot be the end. There has always been an escape -- often narrow, but ...

###

Word count: 294

Prompt: voice, book, fear

© Copyright 2018 flyfishercacher (rlhazlett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2145482-Last-Minutes