*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2146217-The-History-of-Azlirith
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2146217
I am writing a fantasy story and this is the history of the world it will take place.
Azlirith is one of the smaller continents of the world. It is set apart by being in the middle of the Cobalt Sea. They have contact with other nations of the world, but their distance has isolated them a bit. Their history truly begins 2000 years ago when Suliau Edris united Azlirith.

Azlirith was made up of dozens of tribes that fought over territory. The wars were bloody and fierce. Eventually, these tribes started to form alliances, and borders were soon established. Azlirith was divided up into nine kingdoms called Patriams. The Patriams were independent of each other and evolved into their own cultures. They traded with each other, fought wars with each other and sometimes, ignored each other. One man brought the nine Patriams together under a common rule. Suliau was born with a gift: he could control magic.

Most magic users had to study for years just to light a candle, but Suliau was born with the ability. He used his gift to help those around him. He truly believed that Azlirith should be united for the good of all the people. He wanted to bring prosperity and hope to those around him that were devastated by the endless wars of the kingdoms. He wanted to end the petty squabbling and make the rulers work for the people. He raised his own army, not claiming to be with any kingdom and founded a city. This city was the jewel of Azlirith and was known all over the world. From Emura, he was able to ride out and unite all nine kingdoms under his flag. Some countries he won politically and other he won after a bloody war. It took him 20 years to finally achieve peace.

The Edris royal line ruled Azlirith for hundreds of years. The ability to control magic was passed down in the royal line. Only those that were descendant of Suliau had this ability. The royal family was expected to work for the people of Azlirith and they used their powers to help bring prosperity to their land. The people were happy and thrived. Azlirith was a power in the world and their influence was felt east to west. Emura was a center for learning and inspired great philosophers and artists alike. All in all, there was peace throughout Azlirith and the people loved the monarchy.

One of Suliau’s proudest achievements was the formation of the Concilium. The Concilium was a body of representatives. Each territory elected one man and one woman to represent their territory to the king. Their primary directive was to advise the king; however, they did have lawmaking powers of their own. They had the ability to overrule any civil edict the king tried to pass. The king had complete control over the military and foreign policy but had to work with the Concilium for civil and domestic issues. They could propose laws the king had to approve. If the king did not pass the proposed law, the Concilium could force it into law with a unanimous vote. The Concilium was governed by the heir. If the heir was not of age, then a regent was appointed by the king. The idea was the next king or queen would have the experience of rule as well as learning about the territories from the representatives.

About a thousand years after Suliau’s unification, Lalzak Edris came to the throne. He was a spoiled child growing up and felt he was entitled to more than was given. He had strong magical powers and used them; not to help the people but to make people bend to his will. Foreign relations suffered as he insulted one ruler after another and trade started to suffer. He passed increased taxes and bullied the Concilium not to over turn them. He was ruthless. Anyone who spoke out against him was soon found dead, as well as their families. The Concilium founded a group in secret, the Venandi.

The Venandi were the best warriors within the territories and their primary goal was to assassinate Lalzak and end his reign. They trained secretly for months waiting for the moment to strike. None of them had magical powers and Lalzak was powerful. Eventually they had their chance and were successful. To prevent an heir taking the throne, they charged the Venandi to hunt and kill anyone with magical powers. They did not want anyone with that kind of power to rule again and take advantage of the people.

Their plans, however, did not come to be. Each Patriam’s ruler wanted the throne for themselves and started wars with the other territories. The Concilium was soon abandoned as the wars started to escalate. None of the Patriams had enough power to win over the others and the kingdom was shattered. Emura was abandoned and the once beautiful city fell to ruins. People carted off stone from abandoned buildings for their own cities and now the only remaining structure is the royal palace. After the last Edris left, it was sealed from anyone without magic. It is said that only a true heir of Suliau will be able to enter the palace and claim the wonders within it walls.

Today, there are eight Patriams. During the wars, the Patriam of Lotul fell to Moltia and Moltia is starting to gain momentum. The Venandi have hunted magic almost out of existence. Every so often, someone with the ancient blood of Edris surfaces in a person and they display their abilities. The Venandi are efficient and hunt these people down. They are thorough and kill their children as well to prevent any magical abilities being passed on. With magic being rare, they are seekers of justice. Any lord or ruler that is abusing their rule finds the Venandi waiting. They stay out of the wars considering them to be one long secession war, but they do hold with their version of justice. No nation denies them entrance and each noble welcome them within their holds. To hide things from the Venandi is to attract their attentions and no noble or ruler wants to be in their sights.

The wars are ongoing, but none of the kings are aware that the heir has been born and is about to come into his powers. Azlirith is about to change.
© Copyright 2018 Robert Storm (robertstorm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2146217-The-History-of-Azlirith