*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2146571-Sonic-Forces-A-Video-Game-Review
by Jeary
Rated: E · Review · Entertainment · #2146571
A review of the game called Sonic Forces. No Spoilers for Sonic Forces in this review.
In my honest opinion Sonic Forces isn't a bad game, but it isn't a Good Game either. I do believe that some of the mediocre scores are correct. However I wanted to give my own opinion on the game and try to do a review a little bit different rather than focusing on just what was bad or good about the game. Instead I want to actually learn to use constructive Criticism in this review as well. The reason I want to do this is because Sonic games almost never receive any constructive criticism, at least none of the reviews that I have heard of it so far. So I will do my best to provide as much constructive criticism as I can.

The Story of Sonic forces is rather simplistic, Without spoiling much of the game it's basically saving the world from Dr. Eggman and his newest creation Infinite. Infinite's story is a bit more fleshed out in the Shadow dlc, but honestly I think it would of been better if they left Infinite's backstory alone and kept it a mystery. As far as Sonic's part of the story goes, nothing really changes and that's where the story hits a brick building. The lack of development for Sonic character kind of feels out of place in the setting they were trying for. It works on an occasion, but I never really felt Sonic was serious about taking down the villain at anytime. I know it's only a video game and Sega doesn't really want to change Sonic, but it would have been nice if he felt a bit more emotional. After all I don't think having Sonic being affected from the events he went thru would change his character, but it would have been nice for him to occasionally feel downtrodden or something rather than be his usual self throughout the game. I honestly think the Sonic in the trailer for Sonic Forces before we knew anything about the game had more emotion simply by grasping his fists.

Sonic's friends most of them are all here, and while each of them do serve a purpose this time rather than just cheering Sonic on, some of the character development of the characters however felt better than the others especially if you are a fan of certain two tailed fox. Tails for the most part in this game felt like his Sonic Adventure development had never happened. He was only there to be a victim. My two favorite characters of the original Sonic Adventure series were Miles "Tails" Prower and E-102 Gamma. I liked Tails there because I enjoyed how it felt that Tails had slightly matured and decided to lessen his reliability on Sonic. I like gamma's story because honestly it was a happy ending, but kind of a sad feeling when you realized you were never going to play that character again. Here however Tails feels like they took a step backwards and made him so reliable on Sonic that it's like he'd rather die than save himself from enemies, unless of course Sonic is there to save him. As far as the character Tails go I would like to see him be more independent form Sonic rather than him rely on him to do everything for him. I do understand Tails is supposed to be scared, but he was scared in Sonic Adventure too, but at least he tried to do something there.

Knuckles was perhaps the best improved of the characters, it was nice to see him take a leadership role. I will admit that some of his dialogue was a b it cringe worthy. However unlike Sonic he never felt out of place in the Story. As for the rest of Sonic's friends they mostly remained the same. Except that they focused more on Amy's compassionate side, rather than her forcing her feelings on Sonic. Amy always had that more compassionate side to her. As far as Classic Sonic goes, most of what people said are right he doesn't really need to be in this game. I do realize there is a lot of nostalgia for him. I also understand that Sega wanted to appeal to all aspects of the various fans of Sonic. Form the one's who like Classic games, Modern games and even the people who like to create their own sonic Character. However trying to please every type of fan in one single game usually hinders the performance or enjoyment of that game,Sometimes even both.

As far as the Avatar character goes Story wise. The avatar character is the most developed and the one we get to see the most development out of as the story goes on. I once saw a review that Sonic Forces isn't Sonic's story, but instead your story of the character you created, and I agree with that. However if I do have to complain about the Avatar Character is that Sega missed out on an opportunity here, by not allowing people to name the character. So if Player Created Avatar's return in future I think a lot of people would like to be able to name them. I am actually surprised that none of the reviews I've read of the game had ever griped about that though.

Now I will talk about gameplay which is basically the boost formula for modern Sonic, The Avatar has more Modern Sonic gameplay but without the boost. Then there is classic Sonic. Of Course there is the occasional tag team Stage. As far as gameplay go I was able to adjust to the controls for the most part. However Classic Sonic was just awful to play and felt like you were controlling a tank rather than Sonic. Modern Sonic faired better in gameplay but it occasionally felt that the double jump Modern Sonic was given was just given to compensate or hide some of the problems in the gameplay at time. Especially since Modern Sonic couldn't jump very high. The over world mad of the thirty stages in game also looked a bit lazy especially if you compare it to the map in Sonic Unleashed. So I definitely would like for Modern Sonic's Jump to be more versatile. Mainly be able to jump higher if you hold the button longer, rather than have a low double jump to compensate for it. The Avatar Stages I was fine for the most part, except I agree with what most have already said. there is way too much automation in them and I would like quick time events to have some consequences if I don't press the button. In other words I would like to feel as though that I accomplished something by doing the quick time event. Even better if I were the one that initiated the sudden turn that the avatar created with mostly automatically at certain points. In other words I'd rather see less automation in future Sonic games, but if it has to be there I want there to be consequences for not doing it. I also agree that Modern Sonic's levels were fun, but they were too short. Longer levels would definitely be fun at times some levels felt kind of incomplete because of there length. The game was definitely one of the best graphic wise, and that is about all I have to say about that. Music wise it's either a hit or a miss depending on what type of Music you personally like. So it's more of a personal choice rather than a level issue. I personally like almost every type of music, so the music never really bothered me. The only type of music I don't like is the gangster rap music that my brother likes.

As far as the Avatar Customization goes, there is plenty of it. It is another positive aspect of the game. I usually just play Sonic games and had never really thought about creating my own Character most of the time. Except in sixth grade when I sued to draw fan sonic Comics for my own amusement. In conclusion though Sonic Forces is a fun yet flawed game, especially if you can play it more than once. If you can't get past it's flaws the first time, then you probably wouldn't like it that much to begin with. It is a game that tries to please every type of Sonic Fan but suffers because of that. In the end it is a Mediocre at best, and it's worst. My favorite song of this game is the ending song Light of Hope. I think that song kind of reflects on how this game felt to me I didn't gain anything by playing it, but I haven't lost anything either. So Nothing really changed. Hopefully though, they can learn from this game and make an even better one in the future.

© Copyright 2018 Jeary (silvernights at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2146571-Sonic-Forces-A-Video-Game-Review