*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2148330-Diary-of-a-Kindergarten-Teacher-9th
by Ellwyn
Rated: E · Fiction · Cultural · #2148330
Details the experiences of a first year inner city kindergarten teacher.
Saturday, September 6

I spent the night thinking of strategies to help the students in my class and the positives of my situation. Positives first:

1. I still have a job. When the district cut my position in June, I wasn't sure if I'd have a job in September. I spent the entire summer stressing about that. Now I can continue to pay for my son's college tuition and my daughter's high school tuition.
2. I have help in my classroom for an hour-and-a-half everyday. Many kindergarten teachers in the district don't have that.
3. I'm able to teach kindergarten. I was very concerned that I'd end up in a higher grade. After teaching 2 - 4 year olds for my entire career, being thrown into a second or third grade class would have been difficult.

Strategies:
1. I know that Ramona Johnson had an IEP in Pre-K because the special needs coordinator told me. I am going to call Ramona's former teacher, and ask which behavioral and instructional strategies were used for her when she was in Pre-K. I am also going to do the same for Devon Wilson. Collaboration is key to help these children succeed.
2. I'm outlining my daily schedule and making an anchor chart with pictures for the children to read. Consistency is important for children.
3. I'll incorporate lots of music and movement into the schedule. That should help relieve the stress and anger of the students.

That's all I have for now. I think I'm off to a good start.
© Copyright 2018 Ellwyn (ellwyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2148330-Diary-of-a-Kindergarten-Teacher-9th