*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149063-The-calm-before-the-storm
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #2149063
this might be my favorite.
         I was walking down a dirt road when an odd smell tickled my nose. I wasn't sure where it was coming from, so I fallowed it. I walked almost a mile when I saw it.
         A nice, two-story house sat on a hill with the most beautiful women I'd ever seen setting on the porch swing. As I approached the house, I noticed she was starring directly at me. "Hello, my name is Amanda." She said as I walked up the stairs to the house.
         "Nice to meet you, my name is Josh."
         "Nice to meet you Josh, what brings you to my house on this fine afternoon?"
         "Well, my truck broke down and I was wondering if you could give me a tide to town so I can get some parts."
         "No problem, fallow me to my truck."
         I fallowed her to the garage. As we got closer, I could tell she was very wealthy. As we climbed in her tuck, I was overwhelmed by the new car smell.
         As we pulled out of the drive, we started talking and getting to know each other. After getting ass the parts I needed, we headed back. I looked over at Amanda, and she appeared to be glowing. "Thank you so much for the ride, I really appreciate it." I said as we where pulling back into her driveway.
         "No problem, good luck on your truck."
         About halfway down the drive she yelled at me, "Come back ill give you a ride to your truck." So, I turned around and walked back to her house.
         Once we got to my truck, I hesitated for a minute then asked, "Would you like to go get a bite to eat tonight?"
         "I would love to, come get me when you finish working on your tuck.", she said back, gave me a wink, then drove off.
...

         Later that night, I had finally finished getting my truck running. On the way home, I saw Amanda's house. I pulled into the driveway, and noticed she was still sitting on the porch in the same spot. "I was wondering when you were going to come back and see me." She said with an amazing smile on her lips.
         "Sorry I had a slight problem, but I got it resolved."
         "That's a good thing, I'm glad you where able to resolve your problem."
         "So, how about that dinner you promised me?" I ask with an eager smile.
         "I'm not really in the mood to ho out, but if you want to stay here, I'll cook dinner for the two of us." She said, and I followed her inside.
         I was astonished when I entered the main room. Her house looked like a hunters' paradise. The walls where covered with deer, bear, elk, and ducks. "So, what's and oilfield hand like yourself doing way out here?" She asked in a curious tone.
         "I actually own about a hundred square miles all spread aroun-" My sentence was cut short my a banging sound coming from outside. I walked out onto the back porch to investigate. As I stepped out onto the porch, I noticed an older man nailing up no trespassing signs. " There is a man outside nailing up signs." I said as I walk back inside to sit down.
         "Don't worry about him, he's my gardener."
         "Okay, I just wanted to make sure he was okay."
         "So, when do you go back to work?"
         "I go back tomorrow, I have to be there by six o'clock."
         "Well, are you going to come back and see me?"
         "Yes, I promise I'll come back."
...

         The next day, I picked up my brother and we headed to the rig. All I could think about on the ride there was Amanda.
         About two miles from the rig we started seeing the smoke. I stepped on the gas in a bit of a panic to see what was happening. Upon arrival I noticed the rig was on fire. I also noticed my uncle's truck was there but he was nowhere in sight. Ignoring the warnings of my co-workers, I ran up to the doghouse, when I got inside I noticed my uncle was trapped under a beam.
         I was still trying to free him when the explosion rang out. I was only two feet away from the initial blast.
...

         I never got to go back to Amanda.

© Copyright 2018 BBlackburnjr (bobbyjr99 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2149063-The-calm-before-the-storm