*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2150124-She-Didnt-Know
Rated: E · Fiction · Women's · #2150124
02/24/2018 Daily Flash Fiction Challenge story: train, string, and hair
How was she supposed to know that the fire in her cigarette was still lit? And that it would consume the woods by the orphanage. Sister Mary Ellen loved children. Some of the nuns say she would sacrifice her whole being to take care of them. Others would say she didn't take care of herself. She hid her smoking addiction from her peers rather poorly.

"Sister Mary Ellen, could you explain to me this awful stench every time you are close by?"
"No."
"…"
"Sister Mary Rose, what I meant to say, is that it would be disrespectful of me to tell you to leave, so I let out gas."
"I swear Sister Mary Ellen, you are the complete opposite when you are with the children. I may not let you take any breaks"
"Thank you Sister Mary Rose".

How was she supposed to know that the train would be delayed because the police were conducting a search? Sister Mary Ellen couldn't believe her luck some times. She was excited to go away. First time in a long time she felt conviction and not confusion. She's regretted past decisions, with more to come.

"Sister are you alright? I think this hair fell from you."
"I am fine. Thank you and have a blessed day, miss."
"Misses Jayne. But you can call me Mary. What's the little ones name?"
"It wasn't a question. But her name is Seraphina."
"Wait, where are you going? You can stay here."

"Excuse me ma'am."
"Misses Jayne, officer."
"Officer Aquarius"
"It wasn't a question"
"Have you seen a nun with a baby board this train?"
"This is her hair"
"That's a string"

How was she supposed to know that the baby she gave up was at the same place she went when she gave up?
© Copyright 2018 Ric Essex (patalive at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2150124-She-Didnt-Know