*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2150813-Once-A-Hero
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #2150813
An old Veteran down on his luck. A rewrite of Silent Hero.
Once a Hero ...



Fifteen Santa’s leave the mission house at eight every morning. Each one hefting a tripod and collection pot, they also sport signs on their backs saying ‘Help The Mission House, Helping The Needy!’

They travel all over the town to their assigned locations. Old Ed Cassidy has the corner of Wittier and Fifth Street, in front of Harry’s Barber Shop and Marshals Jewelry Emporium. Ed travels by bus and arrives at a quarter to ten, sets up the tripod and hangs the bucket. Every day the two barbers come out and put a dollar each into the bucket, but nothing from the jewelry store.

Twenty years ago, Ed would have filled the costume easily, now he needs padding. He’s been down on his luck for a while; the mission is his last chance before living on the street, it offers room and board. In return he cooks, cleans, serves and works seasonal jobs for spending money. Ed is getting five dollars a day to dress up and collect for the cause.

Five days till Christmas, the cold winter winds penetrate and chill to the bone. Mark, one of the barbers, comes out every so often and brings Ed a coffee. The day moves along slowly, today there are quite a number of donations, more than normal.

He rings his bell and chants, “Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas!” Speaking with the passers by, listening to the requests from the passing children, sometimes hearing their sad stories. He truly believes that his presence was making a difference in someone’s life.

On this day, it is brutally cold and very windy. Ed steps into the barbershop to warm up when a black SUV with darkened windows pulls up, the door swings open and out runs a man; also in a Santa Suit. He sprints across the sidewalk into the Jewelry Store, Ed stares in disbelief when he hears a number of gunshots. He steps out of the storefront and waits, looking into the open door of the SUV, the driver is looking over his shoulder, directly at ED.

The front door of the Jewelry store slams open and out comes the other Santa, basketball size pouch in one hand and gun in the other. Ed throws himself in front of his feet; the thief falls over him, his gun and bag of loot splaying out all over the sidewalk. Ed lays there, eyes shut tight, waiting for the shot, expecting to be killed. The burglar alarm is ringing loudly; the SUV speeds off, running footsteps all around. Someone's yelling. “That Damn Santa Did It!”

Ed hears, “Police! Remain where you are, don’t move!” Ed opens his eyes and looks around to find two police officers pointing their weapons at him and the other man. The owner of the Marshals is holding his arm, blood running out all over the ground. “One of those Santa’s did it. Maybe both,” He pointed at Ed. “He’s been out here checking us out for a week now!”

After slapping cuffs on both of them, they lifted Ed and the man to their feet. They remove the beards, headgear and search them. They find Ed’s ID and permit to collect money in his pocket. Two police cruisers pull up along with a Van. Ed is beginning to worry about getting caught up in the investigation.

One of the officers approaches saying, “He’s alright, just called the mission and they confirmed his ID.” Removing Ed’s cuffs, he looks at the mess of Jewelry on the ground, then up at the other man. He's a young man, maybe Spanish, bald with tattoos all over his neck and head.

The young man looks at Ed with arrogance and anger. “What chui look’n at old man. You fucked up my act, I kin git chui Mutha Fu..” They push him into the back of a cruiser and drive off.

Mr. Marshal called Ed over to apologize, “Sorry sir, I didn’t see what you had done.” He shakes Ed’s hand. “I am very sorry to have accused you, throwing yourself in front of him not only saved my inventory, you saved all my employees jobs also.”

“Excuse me?” Ed's puzzled about saving the jobs.

“It’s been a very bad season for shopping. Loosing that inventory would have broken me for this month and forced me into bankruptcy.” Still holding and shaking Ed’s hand, he adds. “You saved everything.”

As the police finish their business, each one drops money into Ed’s pot. Witnesses and store employees also come out and made donations.
* * *
It was turning dark, everyone's leaving; Ed carries his tripod and full pot back to a local diner. He orders pie and coffee. He also notices something white in jutting out of the pot. Fishing it out he discoveres a check and hand written note. The check is for one thousand dollars; the note reads.

‘Don’t cash before January 15th, it’ll bounce. Thank you very much, you have a Very Merry Christmas Santa and have a great New Year. Harold Marshal. Marshals Jewelers.’

When he gets back to his room he tucks the note into the case with his Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts. He waits until January sixteenth; when he presents one thousand dollars to the mission.


© Copyright 2018 Rogue Writer (bobbrug at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2150813-Once-A-Hero