*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2151361-Evelyn
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Writing · #2151361
Writing Exercise
“Night has fallen,” she whispered as silence crept in around us in the small room. There was only one candle burning. We saved our light for other things, more important things, but Evelyn was nearly royalty in our camp and so she was allowed certain privileges, such as burning as single candle in her room while all others were refused it. She didn’t lord it over people. But there were times when it felt like she always was, and always would be, above everyone else.

“Gabriel and Anna are getting married tomorrow,” came the small voice in the corner. Belle was frail and sickly, one of the reasons Evelyn and I took such tender care of her. She would never have survived in our world if we hadn’t. Evelyn said nothing in response, but I could see her jaw tighten in the flickering light.

“Shush, now,” I said, keeping my eyes lowered, though I watched Evelyn through my lashes. The prestige she possessed did nothing to help her be any less plain. She was so average that she tended to blend in with the masses, something great when we played our games and pranks, but not great when one was in love.

“He was supposed to be mine,” she whispered and Belle leaned in closer.

“Don’t,” I said softly, too softly, for I know only I heard my plea.

“What?” Belle asked, but whether she asked me or Evelyn, I’ll never know.

“He was supposed to be mine!” Evelyn screamed and the fragile flame of the candle winked out of existence, leaving us in a darkness far greater than the lack of light granted. We had crossed over and Evelyn would have her revenge.

- July 7, 2013
© Copyright 2018 DragonWrites~The Fire Faerie~ (mystdancer50 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2151361-Evelyn