*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2152025-The-Return-Switch
Rated: E · Fiction · Writing · #2152025
Free write
"Isn't that why we're here?" she asked. He looked at her, distracted as usual. "To ignite love? To bring it to the surface and remind them of it?"

"In theory," he said, calmly.

"The issue is odd to be sure, but we're here to bring love into focus, once more, before they are doomed forever." she shivered. "I think coming here may have been a mistake. At least, coming here with you."

"Why?" his tone showed her that he didn't care what her response was. Rather, he just wanted to fill the air of the small vessel with noise to drown out the endless hum of machinery.

"You do not know what love is, at least the level that is needed to awaken love in this day and time. I think that they chose you based on your knowledge of this century. I know I chose you for my own selfish longing to be loved by you. I can forsake that...but these people need love and if you can't offer them that...well...you should use the return switch."

"Should I?"

"Yes,"

There was silence and he felt the pressing hum coming in to destroy his mind, his perfect mind. Did he care for her? Of course. But love her? No. Did he know what love was? Not in the flowery poetic way she desired. He knew that it was important, but he couldn't understand why. The return switch looked great to him. Tempting as it was, he was never one to back out of a mission, no matter how difficult or dangerous.

And love was always dangerous.

- May 20, 2013
© Copyright 2018 DragonWrites~The Fire Faerie~ (mystdancer50 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2152025-The-Return-Switch