*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2154891-Karim-and-Sarah
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by coral
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2154891
Karim loved Sarah but at least he saw that she had never loved him
There was a working jeweller called Karim,young and light-heared and industriuos in his profession.They said there was a future before him.A good marriage was already arranged for him,the bride not too bad-looking,the dowry most satisfactory.And then, what do you think? One morning he sees a girl.Such a miserable little wisp of a girl And she has a magic that he cannot resist.She has been struggling to find work,she is virtuous-or at least that is what she tells him.I do not know if it is true.
The countess's voice came suddenly out of the semi-darkness.
"Why should it not be true?There are many like that"
"Well,as I say, the young man believed her.And he married her-- an act of folly! His family would have no more to say to him.He had outraged their feelings.He married--I will call her Sarah ; it was a good action. He told her so.He felt that she should be very grateful to him .He had sacrificed much for her sake.
" A charming begining for the poor girl." observed the countess sarcastically.He loved her, yes, but from the beginning she maddened him.She had moodstantrums she would be cold to him one day, passionate the next. At last he saw the truth. She had never loved him.She had married him so as to keep body and soul together.That truth hurt him, it hurt him horribly, but he tried his utmost to let nothing appear on the surface.
And he still felt he deserved gratitude and obedience to his wishes .They quarrelled .She reproached him-My god , what did she not repraoch him with ?"
"You can see the next step, can you not? The thing that was bound to come. She left him .For two years he was a lone, working in the little shop with no news of her.He had one friend-absinthe.The business did not prosper so well."
"And than one day he came into the shop to find her sitting ther. She was beautifully dressed.She had rings on her hands.He stood considering her. His heart was beating-but beating! He was at a loss what to do. He would have liked to have beaten her., to have clasped her in his arms,to have thrown her downon the floor and trampled on her to have thrown him self at her feet .He did none of those things .He took up his pincers and went on with his work.Lady desires?" He asked formally.
"that upset her. She did not look for that, you see."Karim ,she said"I have come back."
He laid a side his pincers and looked at her.
"You wish to be forgiven?" he said "You want me to take you back?You are sincerly repentant?"
"Do you want me back?" she murmured. Oh! Very softly she said it.
"He knew she was laying a trap for him.He longed to seize her in his arms, but he was too clever for that he pretended indifference.
"I am a christioan man ," he said ."I try to do what the Church directs."
"Ah!" he tought,"Iwill humble her , humble her to her knees."
"But Sarah ,flung back her head and laughed.Evil laughter it was ."I mock my self at you, little Karim, "she said.Look at theses rich clothes, theses rings and bracelets.I came to show my self to you .I thought I would make you take me in your arms and when you did so, then- then I would spit on your face and tell you how I hated you!"
"And on that she went out of the shop. Can you believe messieurs, that awoman could be as evil as all that- to come back only to torment me ?"
"No, said the Countess."Iwould not believe it, and any ma,n who was not a fool would not believe it either.But all men are blind fools."
Karim toolk notice of her.He went on."And so that young man of whom I tell you sank lower and lover.He drank more absinthe.The little shop was sold over his head. He became of the dregs of the gutter.Than after two years he saw her again but the woman who had ruined his life.She did not recognise him, but he recognised her.She appeared to be rich and to lack for nothing.
© Copyright 2018 coral (good200 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2154891-Karim-and-Sarah