*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155322-Isabelle
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2155322
Short story inspired by jazz music.
Isabelle

Jake sat quietly in the dimly lit bedroom. Legs crossed, cigarette tenuously suspended by two fingers over the arm of the recliner, he gazed contemplatively. Smoke tingled his nostrils as the thin thread weaved in the dull air like a charmed snake. His eyes fixed on the flickering candle dancing on the distant end table, but his thoughts were fixed on her. Where had she gone? How long had it been since he last saw her; since he last smelled her raven locks; since he last felt her head nestled near his heart? Since she left, the days ran together, indiscernible; every meal tasted bland, unpalatable; every song sighed in minor key, unfavorable.
She had no reason to leave, he thought. All of her needs were met. His hands were always gentle. His affection for her was immeasurable. Her devotion was clear and true. Each day she saw him was as bright and new as the first. The more he tried to reason it, the deeper he fell into depression.
Lifting his head, he stood and stretched. Perhaps the company of others would ease the pain of loss. He grabbed his overcoat and headed out the door.
He found himself in a low-lit, low-populated pub. The light fixtures dangled lazily above each oaken table. The upholstery was faded and wrinkled likely worn by thousands of love-sick hopefuls. A sports game whispered softly from a television mounted high in the corner emitting indiscernible murmurs and squeaking tennis shoes on a waxed court. A three-piece jazz band played softly on the other side of the room. The oaken bar had a glossy finish and a tarnished brass bar bolted in front of it. He ordered his usual rum and Coke feeling no inspiration to try something new and watched the crowds. There were as few patrons as you would expect at seven-thirty on a Thursday. Two young men and what appeared to be their dates all dressed in jeans and t-shirts hovered around an old pool table. They gave an occasional woot and wail as the balls clacked against each other. A handful of young professionals in casual business attire sat at the opposite end of the bar, muttering and chuckling softly to each other as they drank shots and martinis. A lone, middle-aged man sat swirling his drink and pretending to pay attention to the game that played overhead. The barmen quietly wiped down unoccupied sections of the bar and cleaned a few lowball glasses waiting for their shifts to end.
All this mildly amused Jake, but not enough to introduce himself to anyone. He supposed that nothing was really wrong or distasteful about anyone in the room; He just didn’t feel like socializing. But wasn’t that the point of going out in the first place?
As he sat staring at his glass contemplating his own ambivalence, the dulcet ding of the door diverted his attention. At the entrance stood a woman draped in a damp, black overcoat shaking off her umbrella. As she gently brushed strands of wet, auburn hair off her cheeks, Jake could see her stylish red dress sweeping about her shapely legs. She approached the bar and sat down next to him removing her overcoat. She then throws her crossed arms on the bar and pouts playfully mocking his sullen demeanor. Jake forces a small smile acknowledging her irresistible charm.
“Why so glum, chum?” she asks, her head swaying to the gentle sounds of the piano and guitar.
“Just felt like getting out. It’s a little too quiet at home.”
“Oh? I thought Isabelle kept you pretty busy. I figured that’s why you stopped coming here.”
“She left last week.”
“What?! I thought you were gonna be together forever. Do you have any idea where she could have gone?”
“No idea where or why really. That just goes to show: you don’t really kow what you have until it’s gone. The apartment feels so empty now.”
“Yeah. I bet. Still, eight years is a good run, dontcha think?”
“Sure. It was a good run.” His eyes lowered at the thought of it ending.
“Is that why you asked me to meet you here? I could’ve met you at your place.” Madeline’s bright, blue eyes sparkled as she spoke.
“No. The place still smells like her. That would just feel wrong.”
“I see. Well, y’know. They have powders that can wash that scent out.” As she waved her hand, the sweet smell of her perfume tickled Jake’s nostrils.
“That’s not funny. I get the feeling that you never liked her much. Is that true?”
“Of course not. I liked her and I know how much she means to you. I have to admit, though. I may have been a little jealous at times at the attention you gave her.”
“I tried to give you equal attention. I never meant to ignore either one of you. I love you both, just in different ways.”
“It’s cool. I kinda liked being ‘the other woman’. It felt dangerous.” she joked.
“What makes you think you were ‘the other woman’?”
“Oh, come on. She was a part of your life long before I was.”
Jake looked at her skeptically and then thought for a moment. Perhaps he had wallowed for too long. Perhaps, he thought, it was time to let go. Besides, it was likely that Isabelle would not return. He didn’t want to betray the memory of his lost love, but couldn’t ignore the opportunity sitting before him. With a sigh of resolution, he lifted his head and turned to the beautiful woman demanding his attention. He “What d’you say we get outta here?”
They stepped outside and slowly strolled down the street. The rain had stopped and the street glistened by the moonlight. Trees dropped the last remaining raindrops collected overhead. The air fresh and new. Finally, Jake felt a sense of serenity. Jake tightened his grip on Madeline’s hand as she put her head on his shoulder.
Then, in the distance, a faint silhouette of a dog came into view. Back-lit by the full moon, the silhouette skulked about a nearby tree and then sat for a moment. Then, upon seeing Jake and his companion, began to charge. Jake didn’t know what to think. He instinctively stood in front of Madeline to protect her from the assailant. Jake stood still. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. The dog leaped at him, nearly knocking him over. Its face illuminated by the streetlight was dark and slick. Its coat was frizzy from the rain. Its tail wagged frantically.
“Isabelle!! You crazy girl! Where have you been?” Jake was so relieved his black Labrador had come back. He cupped her ears in his hands and pet her intensily.
“Great. My competition has returned.” Madeline joked.
“Ha ha. You know you’re my number one girl, Maddie. I’ll always love you.”
“I know, hon. I’m just teasing. I’m glad she came back. But, seriously, we need to do something about that smell.”
“Oh, I know. She’s definitely getting a bath tonight. No telling where she’s been.”
The trio walked leisurely down the street. Isabelle pranced gleefully about sticking close to her masters. Madeline once again rested her head on Jake’s shoulder.
“I think it’s your turn to pick the movie tonight, babe.” said Maddie.
“I’m thinking Marley and Me.”
“Psh. You would.”
They turned into the stoop at the apartment complex’s entrance. Isabelle shook herself off as Jake opened the door for them both.


© Copyright 2018 Andrew LaBarbera (amlscribe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155322-Isabelle