*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155685-The-Haunting-Laughter
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #2155685
Based on a prompt "They couldn't explain the laughter in the empty house."
They looked at each other questioningly. As if to say, "Did you hear that?" They weren't sure they had. It sounded like laughter, rolling and bouncy, full of personality. It always boggled them, for the house was empty except for them. It couldn't be laughter, could it? Sometimes it sounded like a child's laughter, other times like an adult's. Before long, it started messing with their work. He was a salesman who worked from his home office. She was an artist who painted portraits. Often, he would be on the phone and his client would ask who was laughing for buying a shipment of new sports equipment was not a situation that warranted such a reaction. He would have to apologize and walk outside. She remembers one time she was painting a woman who had started her own company. The woman was very wealthy and stuck up. She had just asked what color the woman's eyes were, she couldn't see in the glare of the sun. "Green" the woman responded, "The color of money." Then the infernal laughter came back. The woman, outraged lashed out, "Are you laughing at me?" She looked at her, "No, of course not. I would never do such a thing!" The woman, not believing her left. They looked at each other now. It had been months since they moved in. It wasn't getting any better. They looked at their closing papers. On one of them, the previous owner's phone number was listed. They decided it was time to settle this once and for all. They called the number provided. "Hello" the voice on the other end replied. She introduces herself as the woman who bought her old house. She said, "If I might, I just wanted to ask you why you left." "It's simple. It's haunted. I couldn't take all the laughter."
© Copyright 2018 Jenniferrunner (jenniferrunner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155685-The-Haunting-Laughter