*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155839-Driven
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2155839
A PersonITfication Entry.
The machine was rolled in early that day, but remained silent. The murmurs were background noise they ignored daily, but since morning, there was constant moaning from Tee17. Everyone was tired of it.

Exasperated, ColumnThree said, “Stop, OneSev, we’ve heard it!”

“Yeah? This scrap heap isn’t on you! Fucking bags!”

“It’s on me… I’m not whining.” OneNine replied.

“I’m sorry.” The vehicle spoke sullenly, “Really.”

“It speaks!”

"I prefer listening.” He replied. “I’m Otto."

"Tell us about outside! We all came in boxes, so that front view is it for us."

"Well, I don’t know much. I rolled out from some loud place onto Truck. No windows, so I never see anything." He spoke softly. "Why do you call them 'bags'?”

"A box from a lab was here overnight." ColumnThree explained. "They told Boxy they're mostly water. I don't see it, but 'water bag' is good as anything..."

"All I know is they suck!" TopStep exclaimed.

"You think it's bad they walk on you? Have one climb inside... That's awful." Otto said.

"Wait, don't they make you roll around on your own these days?" TopStep asked.

"Yes! Back up!" OneSev whined.

"Sorry. I can’t move myself unless the, uh, bag with keys turns on the power." Otto sighed. "They've never done it from outside."

The drone ceased as night fell, and the lobby fell into stasis. Otto, with many parts, never got that relief. With internal power, he was never completely off. Perhaps it was a tiny spark in the clock that keeps time. But that night, he changed. Until then, he was simply sad with the hand he’d been dealt. But, as morning brought him fully aware, perhaps the dealer was actually at fault.

"Morning." ColumnThree said sleepily.

It seemed like just another day in their little world. However, they were wrong. It started with the beeping of Truck in reverse, and as it drew closer, he knew it immediately.

"Well, everyone, that's my ride!" Otto said with pep he’d ever had before. "Guess I'm out!"

"About time." TeeSev grunted.

"I'm really sorry if I caused you pain, but meeting you people gave me new energy!"

Then it happened. Instead of just the locks opening, the power also engaged. Otto seized the opportunity with nary a thought, and his tires spun dramatically on the floor tiles leaving long streaks.

"Woo Hoo!" He yelled. "See you down the road!"

He struck several bags, smashed through the front doors, and into the street. He slewed to avoid Truck, drifted, and then sped off as the tires caught. Otto's laughter faded with distance.

"I wonder where he’s headed..." ColumnThree chuckled.

"Definitely not where the bags wanted!" TopStep laughed.

"Speaking of... looks like Boxy was right!" ColumnThree said.

"Not like any water been on me!" OneNine said as liquid covered him. "It's nasty."

The tiles knew the “night bag” would pull out Scrubber, and the machine would have the steel wheel that hurt like hell. But, for once, it would be worth it.

(Word Count - 500)
© Copyright 2018 Mastiff (mastiff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2155839-Driven