*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156167-LURK-A-Night-Terrors-Short-Story
by Al
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2156167
Short horror story. If you were lost in the woods, what would you do?
I awoke in the middle of a forest with no recollection of how I got there. I was lying in a clearing surrounded by tall trees. It was dark, wet and cold. I was only wearing my t-shirt, faded blue jeans and my blue and white sneakers. I had absolutely no idea where I was. I’d guessed the forest was somewhere outside South California but I couldn’t be too sure. I attended a local school.

I stood up and began to wander around the clearing to gather my bearings. I couldn’t even see my hand in front of my face. Then, I remembered the small torch attached to my keychain. I reached into my left jean pocket, and produced my keychain, cell phone and wallet. I opened my wallet to find my ten dollars still there. This wasn’t a mugging then. I turned on the tiny torch. It wasn’t the brightest but it helped. Something moved which startled me. Thankfully, it was just a crow.

“Hello?” I yelled. “Is anyone there? Hello?” My voice echoed through the empty forest, and I was greeted with silence. I could feel leaves and twigs cracking under my feet as I manoeuvred around the forest. I pulled out my cell phone and looked at the time. 02:00. The light from the screen was almost blinding. No signal. Darn it.

I decided to start walking through the forest. I could’t see where I was going. I held out my other hand to feel for trees or other obstructions. Owls hooted and other forest animals scampered around me. I had no idea I was going to get out. I could feel the fear rising within me. My plan was to just keep walking in a straight line. Hopefully, I’ll come to an exit of the forest eventually. The tree branches extended out and they looked like monsters trying to grab me. But I’m a smart kid, I knew monsters didn’t exist. I kept looking at my phone to check if my signal had returned. Nothing!

I walked for what felt like hours. My legs started to hurt and quiver. I looked at the time on my cell phone again. 02:35. I’d only been walking for thirty five minutes. Was I ever going to get out of this forest? Eventually, I regained a bar of signal on my cell phone. I decided to speed dial my mom. It was ringing.

“Hello? Mom?” I said as the phone made its connection. “I’m lost in a forest. I can’t find my way out.” There was no reply. “Hello? Hello? Mom?” I looked at the screen only to realise it had gone black. The battery had died. “No! Crap! Crap! CRAP!” I shouted. It felt like the air was gradually getting colder. I started shivering. My body felt like a giant block of ice. Will I ever escape this forest? I continued to walk in the same direction.

Suddenly, I stopped dead. I had a feeling someone (or something) was watching me deep in the darkness. I didn’t dare turn around. “Anyone there?” I whispered. No reply. I could hear heavy breathing coming from behind me. I worked up the courage to look behind me. I turned ever so slowly and cautiously. Immediately, I ran. A shadow was behind me. I didn’t know where I was going, nor did I care. I just ran. All I wanted was to get away. Trees shot past me at lightning speed.

Suddenly, my foot hit something and I tumbled to the ground. It took me a few seconds to realise what had happened. I composed myself and attempted to stand. I immediately fell back down. There was a sharp pain in my left ankle. Possibly broken. I stared up at the half moon in the sky and screamed in agony.

“Help! Help!.” I screeched. I picked up my torch that had fallen on the ground beside me. I could hear something moving around me. Watching. Waiting. LURKING! Was it the shadow? I couldn’t tell. I shone my torch in front of me an caught a fleeting glimpse of the shadow creeping towards me. The torch failed and I was plunged into complete darkness. The creature slowly and eerily crawled towards me. I could hear a growl. There was nothing I could do. I closed my eyes and took a big gulp.

The End!
© Copyright 2018 Al (allensfilms93 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156167-LURK-A-Night-Terrors-Short-Story