*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156205-The-Wrongful-Accusation-of-Video-Games
Rated: E · Essay · Opinion · #2156205
Essay about video games and its controversial impact on people
Ever since the Nintendo Entertainment System rescued North America from the clutches of the Video Game crash of 1983, video games have become ingrained in our society. Video games have attracted a wide and diverse audience of users; now, anyone can be considered a “gamer.” Following a recent mass shooting, controversy has come up over the influence of video games on younger players. President Donald Trump is confident that there’s a link between mass shootings and video game violence. Ever since their resurgence, parents and politicians have been advocating that video games are a bad influence on children. They believe video games can cause children to be socially isolated and violent, have impulsive behavior, and even confuse reality with fantasy. If video games continue to receive this bad reputation, one day kids may never experience playing as Mario to take down the infamous, fire-breathing turtle Bowser because such an act would “trigger aggressive fantasies” or possibly “induce animalistic violence.” Video games have the potential to not only be physically transformative but also to be used as didactic mediums to teach their players. Considering the recent wrongful allegation made against video games, it is important that the public recognizes and is properly informed of the true benefits video games have to offer not only kids, but an Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) E for Everyone.

Video games can be beautiful feats of ingenuity, but some parents see them as vile predators that manipulate their children’s morals. Shooting games such as Call of Duty and Battlefield are the worst of these offenders. Some parents believe games like these bring out the worst in their children by teaching them that it is fun and rewarding to carry out violent acts. I can attest to this with my own first-hand experience. I remember the days when I would hop on for a quick round of Call of Duty on my Xbox 360, hoping for a little fun. I usually played with the online chat to communicate with players, but when my team lost, all verbal hell broke loose. A toxic atmosphere was quickly created when the opposing team shouted, “YOUR MOM IS GAY!!!” and “HAHA! Fight me in real FAG!!”

While most kids don’t become physically combative from games, that doesn’t stop them from saying extremely vulgar (and mean) remarks online. Getting rid of these games wouldn’t address the bigger problem. Parents are worried that their children may be subjected to overly violent and graphic games, and they have a right to be. The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) was created to rate games so that consumers know what age range should be playing specific games. Parents who are concerned over the violence in games need to become conscious of and monitor what games their children are playing. Unfortunately, some of these opposers go so far as to hunt for any “negative” qualities they find in otherwise harmless video games.

One game that has taken scrutiny from these people over the years is Pokemon. Pokemon is a child friendly game where you catch Pokemon creatures, battle your way to the top, bond with your team, and hopefully one day “catch ‘em all.” Now don’t let this description fool you from the “truth” of what Pokemon is according to some people. Online forums are filled with furious hover parents advocating for an end to animal cruelty in the game; people have even found religious undertones they claimed “pushed some agenda.” For some religious fanatics, Pokemon is devilish satanic propaganda used to expose the children of today to the teachings of the dark lord. Players catch and evolve monsters that encourage the biddings of the dark lord. Furthermore, opposers claim, the gane teaches kids how to enter the world of witchcraft, as these creatures often cast spells, and use other psychic and supernatural phenomena to battle and “kill” each other. Yes, of course, thank you Pikachu for teaching me how to properly skin a goat and offer its blood to the antichrist. Pokemon has deep ties to the childhoods of many, and anyone who has played it knows that it advocates for the opposite of these. It’s ridiculous how some people conjure up these “sinful features” in what is an extremely innocent game. Hell, next they’re going to say Pacman’s Wakka Wakka sound is connected to Lucifer or some shit. If opposers of video games believe that games are transformative, why can’t they be so positively?

The pros of video games outweigh the cons perceived by any adversary through their brain shaping abilities. Video games change your brain. The favorable neuroplasticity gained from continuous gaming has been proven in numerous studies. Action games, especially, foster stronger hand-eye coordination, motor skills, and spatial recognition. In shooter games, players are tasked with looking at their screen to shoot at enemies while using a controller in their hands. The players must also keep track of how fast the enemy is moving, whether their aim is precise, and whether the distance is enough to shoot. It’s clear how continuous gaming can sharpen certain skills that we all have. So, parents, when you hear your little Timmy screaming when he plays Call of Duty, it’s probably just the synapses strengthening in his brain.
The benefits of video games can also be seen in their didactic nature. While video games may seem like an overindulgence in fantasy, they have potential to foster valuable morals. Some of the best life lessons I have learned have come from fictional stories in video games. Video games have instilled life lessons in me that I use to this day. Dragon Quest was among the first games that taught me what it feels like to be a hero—someone who fights for those in need. Although I seldom slay dragons and save any kingdoms from despair, I constantly strive in real life to fight for what I believe in. Many other games have also fostered valuable lessons in me. Pokemon taught me to always keep trying and to constantly improve myself, Tetris taught me to how to think differently and try new things, The Legend of Zelda taught me the need of family and tradition, and hell, even Flappy Bird taught me the importance of timing.

As great as this sounds, it is important that video games be played in moderation and not obsessively. It’s like that German chocolate cake you have second thoughts about eating. You know you shouldn’t eat the whole thing, but reason with yourself that one slice is okay—hey, chocolate in moderation is healthy, so go you! Opposers to violence in video games must change their views by recognizing the benefits that can be reaped from them. It is also very important to inform the public of the benefits of video games, so they aren’t wrongfully misled or influenced by these opposers. Banning violent video games would not be an effective form of gun control. Doing so would limit the positive potential that games could have on their users. Instead of writing articles of how video games are poisoning the youth of America, maybe strong opposers could try out a video game themselves.
© Copyright 2018 Ahmed Usman (ahmed98 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156205-The-Wrongful-Accusation-of-Video-Games