*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156781-Rainbows-End
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #2156781
The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears. 2nd Place - Quotation Inspiration
Rainbow’s End

Professor Robert Smythe lifted the flap and peered out of the tent, viewing the muddy remnants of his campsite. The sudden thunderstorm that had swept across the Serengeti was as violent as it was unexpected. Now, the obsidian dark was beginning to lighten, as though the rain had washed away portions of the darkness like some abstract watercolor painting.

He took a deep breath and tasted the air. This is going to be a great day. Soon the sun would be up and the sky would turn a special shade of cerulean that would reflect the perfect purity of his surroundings.

“Well, almost perfect,” he muttered, once more surveying the wreckage. “The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears,” he mused, recalling an obscure quotation.

He brushed aside the thought. Nothing would ruin this day. He’d worked too hard, had overcome too much, for this day, for these soon-to-be moments.

He’d devoted his life to botany and had always secretly harbored a dream of discovering a new species – to be named after himself, of course. His research, however, was seldom in the field. He remembered that even as a child, he always held back, afraid of… what was I afraid of? This journey had opened his eyes to the wonders of the real world.

He did, however, do his research from original manuscripts, shunning the online published work. There was a certain voyeuristic pleasure in handling the pages, in knowing his hands were touching the same pages as the explorers, and certain that his mind was superior to theirs, that he’d find something they missed.

“Bookish Bob!” he spat, remembering the derision he had endured. Then, he had made a startling discovery. Hidden in the pages of Darwin’s “Beagle Diary” was a reference to a strange plant rumored to exist in Africa. Darwin hadn’t followed up on it.

It’s hard to sail Africa’s interior, he chuckled in pleasure at his good fortune and Darwin’s loss.

From that small hint, Robert began his quest. Rather than wander aimlessly through a strange continent, he began researching stories and legends until he came to believe the rumors and narrowed down its location.

The promise of a new species had brought him from the comfort of the university to the African plains. He chuckled. He had joined the ranks of the “Explorer Class.”

“Mbakara,” called Adowa, his guide. Robert frowned at the honorific ‘boss’ or ‘master’ from the Ibibio dialect.

“Professor, please,” he corrected.

“Yes, Mbakara,” Adowa grinned.

“Well, did you talk to the village elders? Have they heard of anything strange?”

Adowa’s grin doubled although Robert was sure it couldn’t have. “The elders speak of a sacred place nearby. They are followers of Elegua.”

“I don’t care what they believe in …” Robert began but Adowa made a signal that meant stop.

“Elegua is the Guardian of the Crossroads of Life. Whenever there are decisions to be made, he provides opportunities and second chances -- if you're lucky. As a Trickster God, he can sometimes make things even more complicated. At a whim he can turn a simple choice into a paradox.”

Adowa continued, “What you seek is ahead. It is a sacred place and no one goes there until it is their time. The passing from this life to the next is a crossroad, no?”

“Superstition,” Robert grunted. “We’re here for science. We must leave immediately!”

A concerned look crossed Adwoa’s face. “The others,” indicating the native members of his party, “will not enter this area.”

“You say it’s not far? We can go without them.”

Adowa’s disapproval was evident but he finally relented. “If you say to go, Mbakara, then I will go with you.”

The timing is perfect, Robert thought, noting the first bright rays of the sun filtering through the heavy canopy of the Jackalberry trees. The blister on his heel was raw and throbbing but he ignored it. Following a barely discernable trail, he pushed his way through the underbrush and was surprised when he broke into a clearing.

“Amazing!” he uttered as he saw a single, large bloom, totally black in color, rising like a prehistoric creature out of the center of the clearing.

Mentally, he began cataloguing what he saw. The size he estimated at five feet, not unlike the common sunflower, since it appeared about eye-level. The leaves were equally placed, bilaterally, for a total of three pairs.

“Odd,” he whispered, noting that the flower was closed even though he could see that the light was shining on the obsidian-like calyx. “It should be opening.”

He quickly inventoried the clearing. Strange. Nothing growing around it; no other flora of any type.

Having assured himself that the area was clear, he approached cautiously – almost reverently after motioning Adowa to remain back. He felt a stinging and mentally cursed the blister. Glancing down, he froze as he saw a dark red stain spreading.

What the … crossed his mind as he realized that a black tendril had wrapped around his boot. “How did I miss that?” he began, when suddenly dozens of creepers erupted from the ground, each with a reed-like thorn.

Robert bolted for the path he had left but it was too late. He twisted toward Adowa, looking for help only to find that he was gone. He felt the paralysis spread as he slowly toppled forward. More tendrils seemed to erupt from the ground and more thorns began to hungrily pierce him.

Through tears of pain, his last vision was of the black flower opening, its fleshy pink center turning red … surrounded by a rainbow.


Divider line



An entry for the April Round of "Quotation Inspiration: Official Contest
Quotation: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Word Count: 1,023

All references to Darwin’s Beagle Diary and the God Elegua are authentic … as for the dark bloom, you’ll have to discover that for yourself 😀.
© Copyright 2018 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156781-Rainbows-End