*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156830-One-Way-To-Get-a-Good-Nights-Sleep
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #2156830
Shelby needed sleep and she just the way to do it.
Tonight was the first night in three weeks that Shelby was able to get a good night's sleep. As soon as her head hit the pillow, her thoughts slowed to a crawl. With her stress permanently removed, she could feel herself drifting off then awakening multiple times - those snippets of sleep were comforting, and she embraced them.

Jason, Shelby's boyfriend for two years, took pleasure in making her feel guilty, always critical of her looks. In truth, Shelby was gorgeous, and she knew it, but that's why she couldn't understand his constant criticisms. Men flirted with her everywhere she went, complimenting her on her face, clothes, and even her high-pitched, breathless voice. Shelby only replied thank you and would never flirt back. She reveled in the confidence those compliments gave her.

Once she arrived home to the apartment they shared, Jason would always start out with a pleasant, loving greeting, but as night closed in, he'd make pointed remarks and snide side comments. At first, she thought he was being funny in his own sort of way, and she began doing the same to him. It didn't take long to find out it wasn't in her nature to do so. His comments stuck with her throughout many nights giving her awful bouts of insomnia.

This particular evening when she came home, he greeted her as usual, but she ignored him to his chagrin. His frequent probing questions worked her nerves until she'd had enough. She placed his dinner in front of him at the kitchen table and went back to retrieve her own plate. Instead, she grabbed a cleaver, drew her arm high into the air and struck the blade through his neck, nearly severing it. Without cleaning the mess, she showered and hopped into bed contented.
© Copyright 2018 Pernell Rogers (arogers270 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2156830-One-Way-To-Get-a-Good-Nights-Sleep