*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2157953-Movie-Night
Rated: GC · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2157953
Screams contest entry
It was the third time Brian watched the video. No one would have guessed from looking at him, but the 29 year-old horror enthusiast had one guilty pleasure: adorable animals on YouTube. Tonight’s spectacle was a viral video of a cute fluffy bunny crawling across the floor in a tarantula costume. The video was up to 34 million views and he would have gladly put in the effort to nudge it up to 35. Unfortunately, he was already late for his Tuesday night meeting with his horror film club; tonight they were watching the american re-make of Let The Right One In, much to his protests and disappointment. He leaned in to his Chromebook, and clicked Replay.

After four more viewings, Brian finally closed his laptop and made for the shower. By the time he was done drying off, and dressed in his jeans and Nightmare On Elm Street t-shirt, he was nearly 20 minutes behind schedule.

They’ll wait for me, he thought as he stepped out, locking the door behind him.

The gatherings were always held at Craig’s place: a two story colonial he inherited from his parents. Victoria and Skinny would be there, along with Theo, Carly, and the newest member, Raymond. It was Raymond who suggested tonight’s showing, and the group had voted it in, six to one. Brian had dealt with that decision… poorly, but was coming back tonight, all the same.

When he pulled in to the driveway, all the lights were off. He climbed out of his Subaru, tapped the alarm on his keychain, and approached the house. Spring was giving way to summer, the air was crisp but pleasant, and despite his dissatisfaction with their movie choice, Brian felt good and was excited to see his friends. By rote, he gave a little knock on the front door
(“shave and a haircut..”)
and entered.

Brian found everything just as he left it. The pieces of Craig that would not fit in the oven were neatly arranged in concentric circles on the kitchen floor. He had placed Skinny’s genitals in the center of the array, making a sort of bulls-eye, but the rest of him was crammed naked under the living room couch.

He remembered storing Victoria’s hands in the toilet, but was surprised by his own inspiration, when he saw the pose in which he had left her and Theo. He thought Carly would appreciate that and reminded himself to snap a picture, so he could show her when he brought her water down to the basement. But just now, he was ready to start the show. Brian took Raymond’s head from the refrigerator and brought it back to the living room. He set it on the couch beside him when he took his seat, the blood leaving a gelatinous smear on the beige leather. It was true he didn’t really want to see this film, but the group had voted, so Brian took up the remote, and pressed play.


© Copyright 2018 James Heyward (james_patrick at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2157953-Movie-Night