*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158261-The-Heart-of-the-Dragon-1st-Place
by Pepper
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #2158261
A young man makes a great sacrifice so that his queen can regain her power.
Jazar had been aware of the falcon for some time.  Ever since he had left the woods of AzVane and began his quest, it had been circling him... stalking him.   

He kept his eyes fixed ahead and ignored the lofty spy.  His hood did little to shield him from the merciless sun, and sweat trickled down his spine.  In his pocket, he caressed the blood-red stone. If the Heart of the Dragon could reach the exiled Queen, the balance of power would shift.  She—and she alone—would command the Dragon Warriors.  She would be restored to the throne, and the King would find himself minus his head.  He could only hope he would be the executioner.

Jazar’s train of thought was interrupted by a swirling dust cloud.  It started small and grew until he could see the King’s enchantress standing in the middle. His heart stopped.

“The King knows you have the Dragon Stone,” came a raspy voice. “He demands its return or else.” A finger reached out but stopped short of Jazar’s face.

“If I don’t?” He smirked. “You dare not touch me while I have the stone.”

“No, but you will wander in this dust storm until your flesh dries up and blows away.  When you drop the stone, it will be ours.”

Jazar straightened his shoulders and took a deliberate step forward.  The enchantress pulled back and hissed her displeasure.  She disappeared as Jazar was enveloped in the swirling cloud.  He choked and fell to his knees grasping the stone.

*****

A young girl entered the Queen’s court and placed a glowing red stone into the her hands. 

“Your majesty!” Her chief adviser spoke. “You now command the Dragon Warriors.”

“Jazar?”

Her adviser shook his head. “I’m sorry, but he was one of your decoys.”




Submitted for
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon


Must contain a threatening message.

299/300 Word Count

© Copyright 2018 Pepper (plscholl2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158261-The-Heart-of-the-Dragon-1st-Place