*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2160570-Home-Gardening
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2160570
What will grow if you plant it?
Home Gardening
~~A 300 word entry for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge"   by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon with the promt - Write a story that includes someone planting a garden that grows something the did not expect.



Dodi took the packet of seeds out of her pocket and read the instructions.

'Sprinkle on dirt, add water, and wait.'

It seemed too simple.

Ripping open the packet, she sprinkled four small purple seeds out onto her hand. She shoved the now empty packet into her pocket as she walked to the middle of the carefully cleared lot. She placed the seeds in the spaces she had previously prepared, pushing them into the soil just a bit. Not sure about how much water to add, she felt it was better to be safe than sorry, so she made sure the ground was thoroughly soaked.

Next came the hardest part. Waiting.

It was never easy to wait, and patience wasn't something she was good at, but she sat down under a nearby walnut tree to watch and see what would happen. She tried to stay awake, she really did. But soon her eyes grew heavy and her head began to nod forward. She could feel her blinks getting longer and stickier. Before much time had passed, her breath settled into a steady in and out rhythm, and she leaned back onto the tree and slept.

After a time, she jolted awake realizing she had no idea how much time had gone by. To her amazement an enormous white palatial mansion sat in front of her. Six gleaming marble pillars reflected the sun back at her, and the lawn was perfectly manicured.

Leaping up, she pulled the packet out from her pocket and read 'Home of Your Dreams - Just Add Water'. She looked at the large audacious building in front of her harrumphing in disappointment. Shaking her head, she turned away and trudged back toward town. This wasn't the house of her dreams; she never wanted to be the President.

© Copyright 2018 ZombeeLuv (zombeeluv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2160570-Home-Gardening