*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2161741-The-Process
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2161741
Three Minute Read
The Process

Harold woke. Laying there, body still asleep but mind waking up; it all came crashing back, as it always does.

He’d been at work. It had been a long week and the tension was high. The project was running choppy, but they knew they were on the right path. The higher ups, angry at the delay, putting pressure on, threatening to shut them down. But that wasn't his problem anymore. As he lay there, he knew he had been taken out. He briefly wondered how it had played out; but, it was no longer his concern he'd been reassigned. In a very few minutes, he would lose all memory of it temporarily.

There would be the long “vacation,” as there always was. He had to assimilate his new position. Shortly he would go into the fog, not coming back to reality for at least eighteen years, likely more. His life would be directed by corporate, ending up exactly were he was needed at the exact time he was needed there. By the time he “came back” to his own reality, he would have all the skills and knowledge he needed to do the job. He? He could be a she this time. He wouldn't know for a while and would take it for granted once he found out.

Briefly he realized this may be his last assignment here. It was almost time for him to be rotated home. He wasn't sure how he felt about that, he’d grown to love this planet. Yet he still looked forward to going home, eventually. Sometimes missing home intensely.

Starting to get fuzzier now, he prepared. It was always exciting rushing into the light. He relaxed, completely feeling his new body moving, slowly then suddenly with great speed.

Another child is born on earth.

© Copyright 2018 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2161741-The-Process