*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2162137-Pete-and-Jay
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Pets · #2162137
Bird and Cat
Pete was a beautiful bright yellow cannery. All day he sit in his cage singing a joyful, proclaiming his love for his family and his clean cage. Jay loved Grandma, Grandpa, and their four wonderful grandchildren. The only problem in his world, was Jay, the Siamese cat. When Pete came into the household, there was not other inside pet. That changed one day in early autumn when Grandma brought Jay into the house.

Pete was not happy with the new family member. He did not mind them petting or stroking the cat, because Grandma and the grandchildren continued to stick their fingers in his cage to stroke him. True, sometimes they had the cat scent on their fingers, but he did not mind that too much. His water container was always full, so he could groom himself after every petting to remove the cat odor. This had its advantages, because the family would gather around his cage to watch his extended grooming sessions.

Pete's biggest problem was Jay's morning routine. Every morning, for two or three hours, the cat would lay on top of the Victrola watching him. About every thirty minutes or so, Jay would set up, meow, and reach his paw up to touch the cage. Pete, was not bilingual and, could not understand what Jay saying. He did not have to know Feline, because he was sure Jay was saying: "You look like a tasty treat. Please come out of your cage so I can eat you." Of course, Pete had no intention of leaving the safety of his cage with a cat in the room.

On morning, in early spring, Pete found his cage door ajar. He knew, without a doubt, that Jay could stick his paw through the cage door and reach Pete's favorite perch. Pete flew out of his cage, and landing on the white recliner that was in front of the Victrola. Just at that moment, Jay walked into the room. Looking up at the bird, the cat meowed. Squawking, Pete flew to the television set and perched on one of the antenna. Instead of attacking the bird, Jay turned around and walked out of the living room.

A few minutes later, Jay, followed by Grandma, came back into the room. "Pete," Grandma said, "what are you doing out of your cage?" She reached out, gently picked up Pete, and took him back to the bird cage. She placed him on his perch, and closed the cage door. She made sure the door was secure, before picking up Jay. She carried Jay to the recliner, set down, and began stroking him. "What a good kitty you are, Jay!" She put the cat on the floor and left the room.

Maybe, thought Pete, as Jay jumped onto the Victrola. I was wrong about this cat's intention.

Word Count: 472
© Copyright 2018 Prosperous Snow Valentine (nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2162137-Pete-and-Jay