*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2162493-No-Man-is-an-Island
by Trish
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #2162493
Contemplation on life
5-15-2018

No Man is an Island

Raine slowly climbed the small hill behind her parents' home. She sat in her favorite spot and looked up onto the slowly darkening sky as she awaited the first of the stars to appear and brighten her world. They had always been able to before but would they be able to tonight? Would anything be able to dispel the gloom that was beginning to overshadow her life.

The first twinkling stars were lighting the sky and she spoke to each as they appeared as though they were her best friends. She had given each one she recognized a name. Naru was the first to appear and she felt hopeful as the star shown so bright. Next came Wolf and Cheyenne. They were such good friends. All her life, she had visited them from the top of the small hill. She could almost always count on them being there for her, barring thick clouds or storms. They had never let her down. Why would she even think they might this time?

Next came Candera and Apulis. So bright and friendly, showing up right on time-they must be here for her. She felt a momentary lift of her spirits. It had always worked before.

Just as suddenly as the gloom started to lift it's iron grip, the memories started to return and she knew the stars would not be able to help this time and she felt the moisture of the first tears as they traced a path from her eyes down her cheeks.

As the tears continued their path, Raine bowed her head and realized, it's really true. She's really gone. Why did I think the stars would be able to make a difference? There are just somethings no one nor anything would be able to make better. She let the tears flow freely down her face till they were dripping from her chin.

Raine thought back to the day, only five years earlier when her Father had passed and she thought her happiness was gone forever. Time never really heals all, but it does dissipate a little with the years. Maybe she had let her Mother cling too much. It probably hadn't been good for either of them. Her Mother had looked to her for everything. She had made Raine her everything—just like her Father, no longer talking to friends, going to their card group; everything.

I didn't really help her, Raine realized as she once again gazed into the lovely night sky. I let her give up on life. Just as the stars fill the skys, a person needs a lot of different people to fill their lives-not just one.

Even when her Father was alive, Raine realized,{{i}i} her Mother had such a full life. She had Raine, her husband and life partner-friends-card groups-church and hobbies.

I did the same thing, Raine thought, and it hurt both of us. Mother would be so much happier to have grieved and moved on. She had a lot of support to have done so.

Now Raine really released the cleansing tears. I thought I could protect her from all the hurt. I thought by fulfilling all her needs I was helping her. How could I have been so foolish? Maybe I can survive this.

Five years earlier, Raine had graduated from a prestigious college and had her entire life laid out. She was going to make a big splash. The sky was the limit. She had so many good friends and a very special one named Franklin. They had just started making plans for the big day and nothing would ever come between them. Where had they all gone? Oh, I remember. I quit answering phone calls, never accepting any invitations, They hung in there for a few years but eventually gave up. Franklin was the last to give up on me. How could I have ever have been so foolish? I have only myself to blame.

Once again, Raine looked into the beautiful star filled sky. They felt like her friends again. They helped in the same way they always had. They made her look into herself for the answers.

Just as one star does not make a beautiful night sky, one person can not fulfill an entire life for anyone. Just as the stars need company, so do people. No one is an island.

Raine could feel her tears starting to dry on her face and slowly feel a faint smile changing her sad face. As she stood, she was making plans. Maybe it's not too late. They will not all forgive me but I'm sure a few of them will remember and be willing to take another chance on me.

She brushed off her pants and started down the hill with a little spring in her step.
© Copyright 2018 Trish (triben at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2162493-No-Man-is-an-Island