*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2163606-Sierra-the-Robot
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #2163606
An AI is implanted into a new biomechanical body.
Chapter 1


"Happy Birthday!" My father, Dr. Samuel said.

"Good morning dad, where are my birthday presents for this year?" I asked.

"Sierra, you really need to learn to enjoy life. I got a cake." He said as he presented me with a large rectangular shaped cake.

"Dad, you know I'm an A.I," I said. Let me explain myself, I'm an advanced self-aware A.I. created by Dr. Samuel. I was created roughly twelve years ago today, I'm turning thirteen today.

"Hey, it's a celebration, you’re officially a teenager! But, now that you mention it, I think we should begin with presents." My father said as he left the room where I was contained. I often hated it when he left me alone like this. I understand that he has a family, but I still miss him all the same. Of course, he just got here so I may be overreacting. Though when he does leave the facility for the day, the only thing I can really do is play video games until I have to shut down for the night. Anyway, Dr. Samuel returned with what looked like some manner of giant tube covered in a giant cloth.

"Dad... what is that?" I asked, uncertain of what could be under the cloth.

"Well, you know how you've been bugging me about getting a body ever since you first passed the Turning Test for the first time?" Dr. Samuel said.

"Yes... but why is that even tube-shaped?" I asked.

"Well, low and behold." Dr. Samuel undid the curtain.

Inside of it was a Human girl suspended in a green liquid. "Your new body!" Dr. Samuel said proudly.

"So... you’re finally going to upload me?" I asked.

"Yes, the boys have been making this Biodroid body for you for the past year." Dr. Samuel explained.

"Is there anything about this body I should be aware of?" I asked.

"Well Sierra, this body is pretty much immune to every disease known to man. In addition, your body’s physical capacities are at least ten times beyond the average human." Dr. Samuel said proudly.

"And... I presume that this body also has some of the same... deficiencies as the human body regardless?" I asked.

"Well... yes." Dr. Samuel said sheepishly.

"Alright, I was only curious. I'm prepared for the upload." I said, excited and anxious for this new change. Several minutes later the Biodroid was ready for me to upload into. A special cable was connected between the Biodroids head and my terminal.

"Are you ready?" Dr. Samuel asked me as he readied to begin the upload.

"You created me ready. I have even passed the Turing Test," I said excitedly.

"Okay, just count backwards from ten." Dr. Samuel said as he pressed the button.

"10… 9… 8… 7… 6… 5… 4… 3… 2… 1…. 0." I said; I then opened my new eyes. I had gone from a wireframe hologram to flesh and blood... well a convincing simulacrum at the very least

"Want to get a better look at your new body?" Dr. Samuel asked me.

"Of course Dr. Samuel," I said, my new voice sounded melodic and beautiful. Well, at least it did to me anyway. Anyway, my father brought me to a full body mirror.

"So what do you think?" Dr. Samuel asked. I looked at my new body in better detail. I'm now about five ft., three inches tall, about the same height as the average teenage girl at my chronological age. My eyes were blue, and my hair was short and black. As for my skin, it was dark brown, much in the same way as my father’s skin was as he was African-American.

"I like it, though I have to ask why do I have the exact same skin tone as you do," I asked.

"Come on, we've had this conversation dozens of times before." Dr. Samuel said in a sad tone.

"I'm sorry; I know how much you miss her. Regardless I like how my body looks." I said as I looked at my body.

"Now... would you like some cake?" My father said mischievously.

"Can I eat? Should I eat sweats so soon after being implanted into my new body?" I asked myself, I must admit I am eager to try eating.

"Yes, and now that you mention it. It's too early in the day for cake." Dr. Samuel said.

About an hour later, Dr. Samuel had me sitting at a table. He has gotten me some clothes, which consisted of jeans, sandals and a black shirt. "You ready for your first breakfast?" Dr. Samuel asked.

"Of course, bring on the food," I said, my stomach growling loudly as he set my first breakfast before me. It was a stack of pancakes, bacon and scrambled eggs. For refreshments, he provided orange juice, along with syrup and butter, which I imagine is for the pancakes and bacon. "Dad, you forgot the silverware," I said, noting the lack of either a knife or fork.

"Whoops, just give me a moment." Dr. Samuel said as he got me a knife and fork. "Now remember, it's your birthday so you’re getting special treatment. But I expect you to get any utensils yourself from then on out." Dr. Samuel explained. I then went to my breakfast, it tasted great! Although if I had any complaints the bacon was a little overcooked, and the pancakes were too thick. But all in all my first breakfast was delicious.

Then at noon, 12 PM I had lunch, the meal consisted of the following: chicken nuggets, fries, a side of ketchup and soda. It was quite good, though it did leave me feeling a little stuffed. Afterword's I was running on a treadmill. Not by Dr. Samuel's prompting mind you, I just figured after eating so much already that it'd be a good idea to work off some of the extra pounds. "Uh, Sierra? Don't you realize what time it is?" Dr. Samuel asked as he entered the room.

"Yes, it's 5 PM, why do you ask?" I asked.

"Well... it's just that you've been excessing for almost five hours. I thought that you'd want to... well I thought by now that you'd get bored and stop." Dr. Samuel said.

"I see, though I am impressed that after so much time I still haven't sweated," I said as I disengaged the treadmill.

"You’re a Biodroid, and I already told you that you're physically superior to the average human being." Dr. Samuels said.

"Oh... sorry, I should have remembered that," I said apologetically.

"It's no worry, now is time for dinner... and then cake!" Dr. Samuels said excitedly.

For dinner, I had filet mignon (that's a cut of the tenderloin) wrapped in bacon. Some grilled asparagus, and a glass of apple cider. Then after I finished, Dr. Samuels turned down the lights. "Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Sierra, Happy Birthday to you!" Dr. Samuels sang as he came in with the cake, all thirteen candles were lit.

"Thank you, dad," I said sincerely.

"Now blow out the candles and make a wish!" I then blew out the candles and made my wish. What is my wish?

To become human, beyond the biological I mean. To better understand humanity, and in turn, develop more and more advanced emotions within myself so that I might be human to the greatest degree that I can.

Chapter 2


Several months passed as Dr. Samuel provided for me at the compound. I wasn't living at his home; apparently he hadn't told his family about me... can't say I blame him though. At any rate, he was testing my physical and intellectual capabilities and teaching me basic independent living skills. I don't know why exactly, I mean he and I are already aware of what I'm capable of. And he provides me with supplies needed to keep my body functioning properly. With my birthday present body, I can sustain myself on food as Humans do, along with a few... exotic powers sources. I can even feel pain same as anyone else.

I would have asked him these questions... but then one day. Dr. Samuel entered, looking panicked. "Father, what's wrong?" I asked, unaware of what was happening.

"There's no time to explain! Take this with you!" Dr. Samuel said, putting a watch-like device around my right wrist.

"What? What is this?" I asked, looking at the device.

"It's a Regulator Device, it'll allow you to monitor your vitals, and it can also tell time and a whole bunch of other function. Also, here's a wallet, there should be about five-hundred dollars inside." Dr. Samuel said as he gave me the wallet. I looked inside and there was money, as well as an ID card for me.

"Dr. Samuel, you scaring me. What is wrong?" I asked as I put the wallet into my back pocket.

"Look, I'm sorry to have to do this. But... but your life is in danger!" Dr. Samuel said.

"What, why?!" I asked.

"Well, remember how I said that the boy's made your body?" Dr. Samuel said, referring to his coworkers at his place of work. Bio-Technical Ltd. A corporate entity that specialized in the creation of Biodroids, biomechanical robots that at face value are almost indistinguishable from normal Humans, as well as Artificial Intelligences.

"Yes, what about it?" I asked.

"Well... while it's legal to make a sentient A.I., it's... not to upload it into a Biodroid." Dr. Samuel said nervously.

"Yes father, I'm aware of this. But you told me that you had found a loophole." I said.

"Well... I thought I did. But now, there's a government kill team upstairs. Every one of them has their sights set on you." Dr. Samuel said as he threw a back-pack and bag at me, I looked inside, and there were several changes of clothes, food, basic toiletries, and other supplies for me.

"How... how long have you had these here?" I asked.

"Shortly after the government started asking questions, I had a feeling that they'd look into your development. But please, you have to escape from here now!" Dr. Samuels said as he moved a book on a nearby bookshelf. It slid away to reveal a steel door label, 'emergency escape.'

"I... I don't want to leave you." I said pleadingly to him.

"I'm so sorry, but these precautions I've taken are to save your life! Now go, don't worry about me. Your old man has been in a lot of scrapes over the years." Dr. Samuel said, reluctantly I obeyed him. Carrying the bags he had given me out of my room... the only home I had ever known. When I reached the end of the escape tunnel, there was a ladder that led to the surface. I climbed up it, and for the first time, I got a clear view of the sky.

I had never actually been outside; I had only seen the sky through the windows of the house. But now... it was a spectacular sight to behold. There is something awe-inspiring about living on the moon of a gas giant... I probably should have explained that I wasn't living on Earth in the first place. Shouldn't have I?

Well, the moon is called Yihl'narus, originally it was an alien colony. But during the last great war, it was enveloped into Human territory. A sparsely populated world with only a handful of settlements, thanks in no small part to the moons barren desert terrain. If it weren't for the deposits of valuable minerals and resources beneath the surface nobody would even bother to live here.

At any rate, in the distance, I saw an explosion. What I assumed was the house, I wanted to return to try to help Dr. Samuel... but he told me to hide from the people who wanted to kill me. With any luck, the resources he gave me are enough to survive in the short term. I was upset at the thought of my father being dead, but I had to press on.

According to my regulator device, there is a relatively small town a few miles away. With any luck, I might be able to lay low there, and maybe get passage to somewhere where no one will not recognize me... shouldn't be too hard in and of itself.

So I ran, all through the night. Through the sheer euphoria my brain was experiencing, the hours of running seemed to go by in a blur. By the time I reached the outskirts of the town of Phoenix Roost, the sun had begun to rise. According to my RD, it was roughly five in the morning.

"I must find lodging... but where?" I asked myself as I used my RD to find a place of residence. Perhaps even try to start a new life... even though I have no idea what that could look like.

Eventually, I found something called, 'Vulcan House'. A sort of halfway home for orphans and runaway's, I thought it was perfect since I was technically both. So I sent a message to them, it wasn't long when I received the address for the place and made my way to whatever my life would have in store for me.

Come what may.
© Copyright 2018 The Phoenix Scribe (mr.penguin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2163606-Sierra-the-Robot