*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2163907-A-Case-For-Love
Rated: E · Script/Play · Romance/Love · #2163907
Script Writing contest Entry
A Case for Love - (Genre Romance)


FADE IN:

INT. GRAND CENTRAL STATION - DAY

Jonathan Nichols standing nervously waiting for a woman he has been corresponding with. Although he has never met her he is expecting a beautiful woman who shared his love for books and History through many months of written letters.
Jonathan sees a Conductor making his way through the crowd.

JONATHAN
(Blocks conductors path)

Excuse me sir, but has the train from Jersey arrived? The 5 o'clock arrival

CONDUCTOR

Yes, ten minutes ago. That was the
train I was on.

JONATHAN

Thank you, did you see a young woman with a Red Rose? I'm waiting for her you see. I've never seen her, just through correspondence, she is supposed to be wearing a red rose so I can know who she is.

CONDUCTOR
(impatiently presses past Jonathan)

No son, I did not, I must be off I have another connection to run. G'day.

Jonathan stands on tip toes to see above the increasingly large crowd moving through the terminal. Several people glance his way, noticing the young Soldier clutching an old book and Red Rose to his chest.

Jonathan sees a beautiful young Blond who makes eye contact with him and smiles broadly.

BLOND

(Winks at Jonathan)
Hey Soldier, headed my way?

Jonathan is drawn to the Woman, but she does not have a Red Rose.

JONATHON
(Smiles, disappointedly)

I'm sorry, but I'm waiting for someone.

BLOND

Your loss.

Blond continues to walk past, Nichols follows with his eyes. Turns to see an older woman in her mid-sixties carrying a Red Rose.

Jonathon visibly deflates, realizing that this woman, who had shared all of his interests would not be the love of his life, but perhaps a good friend never the less.

JONATHON
(smiles and straightens his shoulders and reaches a hand out)

Sarah? I'm Jonathan. It's so good to finally meet you. Would you like to go to dinner with me?

ELDERLY WOMAN
(Shakes hand and smiles)

Young man, I don't know what is going on. But that young Blond Woman who just walked past you. Well, she gave me this Rose and said if a young soldier asked me out to dinner, that I was to tell him that she would be at the restaurant across the street waiting for you.

INT. -MARIO'S ITALIAN RESTAURANT - DAY

Jonathon enters the restaurant to see Sarah seated at in a booth facing the front door. She is smiling at Jonathan.

JONATHAN
(Motions to the empty seat across from Sarah)

Sarah? May I join you?

SARAH
(Smiles Coyly)

Jonathan? Please have a seat.

Jonathan sits down, placing the book on the table between them. He also places two Roses off to the side.

SARAH

Forgive me for that. You see I wanted to be sure that you were the right one.

JONATHAN

I'm not sure that I completely understand?

SARAH
(Reaches across and clasps Jonathon's hand)

You see, all my life people have pursued me because of how I look on the outside. Very few have tried to look at me on the inside. When I saw your advertisement in the paper looking for a copy of 'The Lion in Winter', I was hoping you had the same interest in it as I had.

Sarah releases her grip on Jonathan and looks shyly down.

SARAH (CONT'D)

This is why I had the sudden inspiration to test you.I needed to know if all the things you said in the letters were true.

JONATHAN

Sarah, I had no idea how you were going to be on the outside. But I knew one thing, that your beauty was visible to me by the words you wrote. You are very beautiful Sarah, the beauty on the outside is reflecting the great beauty that's on the inside.
Jonathon slides the book across the table and smiles as Sarah is startled by the title. She picks it up and flips carefully through the old yellowed pages.

SARAH
(Speaks almost breathlessly in amazement)

I can't believe it! An original John O'Reilly! This is one of the rarest of his works!

JONATHAN

I knew you'd appreciate it. I inherited it from my Uncle when he passed away years ago. I've read it many times.

(Pauses and looks deeply into Sarah's eyes)

I want you to have it. No matter where we go from here, I know you love his writings as much as I do. It is my gift to you.

SARAH
(Tears in her eyes, blinks several times)

Oh Jonathan! So great a gift! Thank you, I will treasure it greatly!

FADE OUT


FADE IN:


EXT. AFTERNOON COLD BREEZY DRIZZLING CEMETERY - DAY

A YOUNG WOMAN STANDS BEFORE TWO TOMBSTONES WITH A YOUNG GENTLEMAN BESIDE HER HOLDING AN UMBRELLA. THE WOMAN IS CLUTCHING AN OLD TATTERED BOOK TO HER CHEST.

TONY
(Clutches coat tightly around him)

Mary, why are we here? What is this place?

MARY
(Smiles, loops arm through his and draws closer to him)

Remember when you told me that you would love me more than anything?

TONY

Yes, and I do Mary.

MARY

I know Tony. You once asked me to show you how you could love me that way.

TONY
(Nods toward the graves)

To love you until death?

MARY

No Tony. To love me in life, like they did. This is my Grandmother Sarah's grave. She was married to Grandpa Jon for 73 years. They passed away within minutes of each other. Mother was reading a chapter from this book when they passed. She told me they always read it together at least once a year. It was the book they shared when they first met.

Tony turns to Mary drawing her closer to him in a firm embrace

TONY

Mary, I can love you like that. That is all I've ever wanted to do. Let's go somewhere dry and you can read a chapter to me.

They both turn to glance at the grave site one more time, then turn arm and arm and walk away.

FADE TO BLACK.



© Copyright 2018 Bedrock - The Lurker King (bedrock459 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2163907-A-Case-For-Love