*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165006-The-Boat-Is-Sinking
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2165006
Water up to his knees, but where is his wife?
He was getting wet. To sweat that much, the temperature must have risen during the night. Wasn't that warm inside the boat when they went to sleep.

Pulling his blanket down to cool off resulted in a shock - the sound of splashing water.

"Honey, wake up," he screamed. "We're sinking!"

No reply from his wife.

He threw his legs over the side of the bed. The water was up to his knees.

"Get up, get up," he shouted, reaching across to shake his wife. She wasn't there. Floating around inside the boat?

He struggled out of the v-berth into the main cabin. Where was the water coming from? Some light from a half moon. Shadows floated on the water, and around the cabin as the boat moved.

"Mary, Mary, where are you?"

No answer. Had she gotten out?

He splashed across the cabin to the companionway, and started up. Only to bang his head against the hatch, that unbelievingly, was closed.

"Mary, Mary, are you up there?"

"Where else would I be darling," came a sickly sweet answer.

He banged his fist on the hatch, but it wouldn't budge.

"Mary, for god's sake, let me out."

"But darling, you yourself said last night that you could survive any emergency," came another sweet answer.

Oh shit, she was still pissed at him for making a fool of himself at the club party.

"Let's see how you do sleeping with the fishes," Mary added.

"Wait a minute," he thought to himself. "That sounds like one of my favorite lines from the Godfather." "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."

What was going on? He splashed back to the v-birth, flopped into bed, and rolled over, A dry Mary was there, sound asleep.

No more shooting his mouth off at club parties.
© Copyright 2018 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165006-The-Boat-Is-Sinking