*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165163-Siblings-carry-on
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Family · #2165163
A new way to write. Short about a girl's thoughts as her baby brother is in the hospital.
Rain falls outside the window. Kids are hopping in rain puddles, rubber boots and woolen hats on. Parents are on porches, laughing with each other and their neighbors as they watch the little ones play.

I don't see interest in the playing outside. I see everyone's lips moving, and kids shoving each other playfully, though I do not hear a thing. Instead I sit on my bed watching them, my comforter slightly crooked, pillow on the floor, and a single lantern lighting my room.

How can I enjoy the light and fun outside when someone I love is away? I'm an oldest sister of six different kids, two of them being my twin half brothers. One of those brothers is in the hospital right now, actually. That's why I'm upset. He was born just fine, but within weeks of being alive, his body started shutting down, his heart refusing to cooperate with the gift of life.

I need to be with him. I need to be his protector, like the other oldest sisters outside with their baby brothers today. Instead I'm not even allowed to see him.

My dad and grandparents have taken care of all my siblings. My mom left a long time ago. I live with my four younger siblings closest to me in age. We stay in my aunt's house, though she is never home. My dad makes sure we're fed, but he lives with my grandma and one of the twins. The sick one's mother, my step mom, stays with her dying offspring.

I watch lightning strike a nearby ally way. Our town is full of tall brick buildings. I used to see the color and light in our home. Now...everything is just silent, and dull.

I've been one of the troubled kids in our town. Getting into fist fights as a result of trying to protect my four younger siblings that live with me. I'm only seventeen, and an early graduate. Rather than going to college though, I struggle to keep them clothed and supported through their school lives.

Some people say I'm a troubled kid because my sadness. Sorrow caused by my mom's rejection of us, and my sick half brother. In all honesty, I just like to think I can cheat it all, to make up for the times I've been cheated on.

As I continue watching out the window, I don't realize my twelve year old sister has snuck into the room. She tugs on my shoulder, and I flinch. I look at her, and realize faded blue eyes are red from crying.

"What's wrong Annabeth?" I ask, reaching down to pick her up. She may be twelve, and I seventeen, but Annabeth has always been on the shorter and thinner side, with the body of a nine year old or younger. I on the other hand, inherited the tall, slim figure of my mother, and do to my fights have gained much strength.

"The kids outside pushed me. They don't want me to play with them. Say I look more like I'm seven than twelve. When I asked, they said they didn't want to play with a seven year old. Mocked me and said I was too weak if things got too rough. I think it was a threat." Annabeth said softly, burying her face in my shoulder as her legs hung limply above my knees.

Both Annabeth and I stayed there for a moment while I continued to watch the kids and adults outside. A group of men cheered with their whine glasses, the older woman talked and sowed, and the mother's had gotten into a game of tag with the youngest little ones. With a sigh, I smiled down at Annabeth.

I may be sad about my brother, and depression along with sorrow may make me want to just stay inside on this rainy day. I knew that as an oldest sister, I had to make sacrifices. I didn't get to do what I wanted. This was about Annabeth. Our family. I had to be the protector here.

"Why don't we go outside, and I'll play with you. Imagine how jealous they'll all be when they see your strong enough to play roughly with a high school graduate?" I offered my sister playfully. Annabeth lifted her head, wiped her tears, and smiled brightly. "You mean it?" She asked. I nodded. She needs to have fun while her child hood lasts, before she has to take on my position one day. "Yep." I pretended to be just as exited as her.

We got on our rain boots, coats, and ran outside to the ally way and puddles. I smiled brightly, though deep down was in a darker state of mind. I had to carry on, for them.
© Copyright 2018 Brooklynn Preston (brooklynnp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165163-Siblings-carry-on