*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165302-The-Test
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2165302
Flash Fiction
Andrew looked at his test paper and groaned as he began reading...

Directions:
1. Solve the following 40 quadratic equations using the quadratic formula.
2. Show your work
3. This test will account for 25% of your grade.
4. You have 45 minutes to complete this test.

There was more but that was all he needed to see. Better get started if he had any chance of finishing on time.

As he struggled, he was getting angrier by the minute. How could Mr. Davis possibly expect anyone to complete the test in just 45 minutes. And to top it all off, some of his classmates were already walking to the front to hand in their papers after only 20 minutes. A few even laughed and shook their heads as they walked by.

Some must have finished much sooner since there were only a few students left in the room. Maybe he wasn’t as good at this as he thought he was. No, this is impossible and totally unfair.

When Mr. Davis called out, “Times up, turn in your papers!” Andrew had only completed 21 of the equations and was furious. He waited until all of the others had turned in their papers and left, then went up to talk to Mr. Davis.

“Mr. Davis. This is totally unfair!” he blurted. “How do you expect anyone to solve all of these equations in just 45 minutes?”

“I don’t.” replied Mr. Davis. “Did you read the directions?”

“Of course” said Andrew hesitantly.

“How about number 5?” asked Mr. Davis.

Andrew looked at his test paper and read:

5. Ignore numbers 1 – 4. Sign your paper and turn it in.

Andrew hung his head as Mr. Davis explained, “Just trying to see who reads all of the directions before jumping in.”
© Copyright 2018 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165302-The-Test