*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165534-What-Were-They-Plotting
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2165534
Something was going on, but what?
Some kids want to be "a fly on the wall," to learn a secret. Not me. With my luck, I'd only see the swatter just before it nailed me.

Doesn't mean I'm not curious. Ok, Ok, nosy. So, I listen in sometimes.

Can't be on a phone myself, because the parents won't let me have one until my 10th birthday. That's next Monday!

Couldn't hear everything my big sister Carrie was saying.

"I can't wait," I heard. Then "something, something, ..... to jump."

Was she talking to her BFF, Kathy, or the on-again, off-again, boyfriend, Bob.

".... sail through the air," was the last thing Carrie said before clicking off.

Casually came out into the hallway as Carrie left her room.

"Heard the phone ring," I ventured, trying the direct approach. "Kathy or Bob?"

"Wouldn't you like to know." The usual reply.

"Keeping secrets, huh?"

"Only from you little brother," she laughed, continuing down the hall and into the kitchen.

"Mom, Jimmy's listening to my calls again."

"Was not." Never admit anything is the guy's motto. "Besides, for my birthday, I'm getting a phone, and can yack it up all day too."

"We'll see about that," Mom spoke up.

Nuts, need to be more careful. To demonstrate good behavior, I went to bed early that night. Plus, it helped me to get up early the next day, Saturday, and head out to play ball.

But, at the ballfield, none of the guys were there. Strange.

Returning home, I suddenly saw Carrie pop up higher than the fence around our back yard. And then Kathy. And then Bob. What the???

And there were the guys, waiting their turn on a Pirate Bounce House.

I didn't mind being surprised. A great party, and I got my phone two days early!
© Copyright 2018 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165534-What-Were-They-Plotting