*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165742-Aunt-Jennifer
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2165742
Flash fiction
Doris Weatherby sat in her recliner watching an old episode of The Twilight Zone, one of her favorite shows, when the doorbell rang. She switched off the TV and went to the door wondering who it could be. She rarely had visitors. Doris looked through the peephole and was pleasantly surprised, though, to see that it was Aunt Jennifer, her mother's older sister.

They had been very close when she was young. In fact, she and Aunt Jennifer's daughter, Christie, had been the best of friends, They spent a lot of time together including who knows how many sleepovers. After college, Christie got a job about 10 hours away and they had rarely seen each other since. Aunt Jennifer had moved to the same town a few years later to be near her only daughter. When Doris' mother, Julie, passed away, six years ago, Aunt Jennifer had come and spent two weeks helping out. They had developed a very special bond during that time.

Doris opened the door and threw her arms around her favorite aunt. "Aunt Jennifer, It's so great to see you!", Doris said excitedly. "It's been a long time. Come in and let's catch up. Would you like some coffee?"

"No, thank you, dear, I can only stay a minute. I just wanted to let you know how much I love you."

"Well, I love you too, and I always will!"

Before Aunt Jennifer could reply a strange, echoing, ringing sound filled the air.

Doris opened her eyes, still in her recliner with her cell phone ringing. It was Christie. "Christie, I just had the strangest dream..."

Christie sobbed, "Oh, Doris, I'm at the hospital. Mom passed away just a few minutes ago. And she was just talking yesterday about going to see you."
© Copyright 2018 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165742-Aunt-Jennifer