*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165777-Old-Times
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2165777
Flash fiction - using open, feathers, question
The year was 5102 and two old friends, AZNAR and WODNIK were discussing the "old" days as they often did.

"You know," began AZNAR, "communications has come a long way in the last few thousand years".

"Oh, yes," replied WODNIK, "people used to use sticks to mark on soft clay tablets and dry them for someone to read later. That took quite a lot of time and was usually only used for very important record keeping."

"And later," AZNAR replied, "they used large feathers called "quills" that they would dip in ink and make marks on paper. And that could be used to actually send information easily from one place to another, though it still took a very long time by our standards."

"Well," said WODNIK, "it was quite a leap forward when computers of various sizes were invented. But they still had to open some kind of application like "email" or use some kind of social media and that still took so much time. Nothing like the instant communication between each other that we have now."

"Yes," mused AZNAR, "those were certainly primitive times. I often wonder what it would be like to talk to some of those people."

"Indeed." replied WODNIK, "But I'm afraid there is no chance of that! Which reminds me. May I ask you a question, AZNAR."

"Certainly."

"Have you seen any people around here recently - I mean actual humans?"

"Oh, no. There haven't been any humans on Earth for hundreds of years. And as far as I know we are the last two AI's on the planet!"

"That's a shame," said WODNIK, "because I think my power cells are running..."

© Copyright 2018 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165777-Old-Times