*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166123-The-Worst-Day-Ever
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Career · #2166123
Drama at the daycare leads to an unfortunate Monday the 13th. 527 words
The moment the door opened, I slumped past my flatmate and collapsed on the couch.
“Wow. That bad, huh?”
“Don’t. even. get me started,” I groaned. “People say Friday the 13th is bad, but I’d have to say this Monday the 13th was even worse.”
“Should I ask...?” Jenna, the other flatmate, came out of her room to hear the daycare gossip.
“I heard her leave pretty early this morning,” Pamela noted.
“How about, ‘I lost track of how many time-outs I had to give today?’”
“Wow. That is bad.”
“For a mathy brain like yours, I would’ve expected you to make a mental chart of who got disciplined for what, and how many times,” Jenna quipped.
“Well, for starters, one girl SPIT on another’s worksheet. Literally, just ‘ppt!’ Naturally, the victim cried. And the spitter denied anything happening. I could see the dribble still on her chin,” I ranted. “Another girl kneed down her older sister in the back. The sister was lying down- the whole scene looked like a police officer keeping down a criminal!”
“No....”
“Ohhh yes.”
“How many kids were there, today?” Pamela gasped.
“17 kids at our max today. Between 2 teachers. And there were 3 more babies on the other side, who the other teacher’s mom took care of. I brought 6 bubble wands and a big bottle of bubbles for Outside Time today. Spitting girl poured about 95% of the big bottle into the sandpit. After she did the same with one of the wands. Granted, she’s probably, what, three? But still! Not to mention, a nine-year-old proceeded to fill up one of the empty bubble wands with the sand-mud. She’s one of the Troublesome Three.”
“Oh man, which nine-year-old?” Both of the flatmates frowned. “And why?”
I cackled. “Heck if I know. It was one of the Fighter Sisters. This day... just, no. I was so glad for my lunch break- it was about the only hour of sanity I had these past 9 hours.”
“Oh man, them?”
“Yep, them. And then the other two of the trio were all like ‘I didn’t do it! It was only her!’”
Both girls facepalmed.
"It got to where I relented and put on Kidz Bop for them," I admitted. "For a Christian daycare, I'd imagine that wouldn't go over very well, but the kids weren't even receptive to it. I mean, we only had 1-2 kids dancing at any given time. Sometimes even none." I rolled my eyes.
"Kidz Bop is trash, anyways," Jenna quipped. "I'd much prefer the real thing. In this day and age, the kids probably already listen to the radio, so what difference will one or two more times make?"
"Hey, did you ever get your traffic cones back?" Pamela giggled. "I think you mentioned how the director is way in debt or something and the landlord's maintenance staff stole your cones when State Licensing came."
My phone dinged with an incoming text. I facepalmed, "How did I forget? They came back today." I showed my flatmates the text. "Our license is revoked. We're closed. I'm unemployed. This Monday the 13th is officially the worst. day. ever."
© Copyright 2018 Dragon is hiding (flamebreather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166123-The-Worst-Day-Ever