*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166184-Rough-night
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2166184
Flash fiction contest entry, nightmare
It had been a rough couple of weeks at the office for Sandy and today had been especially rough, but at least the project was finally finished. Her team had been working on a software project for nearly a year, and as the deadline approached they had begun working some late hours. Now, thankfully, all of that was behind her.

It was just after midnight and she was exhausted and starving, so she heated and gulped down something from the refrigerator and headed straight for bed. Before long, she was sound asleep, dreaming of a beautiful day at the beach. She was about thirty feet out in the water when the dream took a bad turn. Sharks appeared out of nowhere and were closing fast! She screamed for help, but there was no lifeguard or anyone else around for that matter.

Suddenly she realized what was going on and chided herself - Sandy, this is a dream. There's no real danger. You only have to decide to wake up and everything will be fine.

She opened her eyes, but everything was certainly not fine! Two men, dirty and looking very mean, were in her bedroom. One with a scar down the side of his face had a gun pointed right at her. The other yelled, "Give us the access code for the project or you die! You have twenty seconds!"

Sandy was terrified and at the same time mystified. She had no idea what access code he was talking about. The man with the scar raised the gun and she started to scream when...

She opened her eyes, really awake this time, and was alone in her bedroom. It was 3AM. As her racing heart began to slow, she promised herself she would never eat spicy chili at midnight again!



© Copyright 2018 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166184-Rough-night