*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166445-Smoke-Screen
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2166445
Flash fiction - quitting smoking
"Bill," said Janice, "you really have to get serious about stopping smoking. What the doctor said today about your heart scares me."

"You're right," Bill replied, "and I'm going to quit!"

"We could get some of those patches to help, or maybe even hypnosis." Janice replied.

"No," Bill insisted, "I can do this myself. I know it!"

"Would you care to make that interesting? Janice asked with a grin.

"What do you have in mind?" Bill asked.

"If you can go without one cigarette for a month, you can go to that golf tournament you've been talking about. If not, I go to the spa resort. Are you in?"

"You got it!" Bill said. "I'm going to enjoy that tournament! Here's my last pack. You can hold them, throw them away - whatever you want!"

The first couple of days were difficult but Bill handled it and was sure he would make it, but then things got really tough at the office, and he had to have just one. He went to his workshop when Janice was out and got a pack out of the carton he had stashed away. He knew she never went in the workshop. She'd never know.

He began to sneak one or two whenever he got a chance, changing his clothes after each time so Janice wouldn't know.

Finally, the day arrived. It had been a month and Bill was eager to claim the win.

"I told you I could do it!" he bragged.

"Yes you did." she replied. "Oh, by the way, did I tell you about the security webcam I installed in your workshop? It records some video every time there's movement. Shall we take a look at some of the recordings?"

Bill stared at Janice, then said, "Can I help you pack?"

© Copyright 2018 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2166445-Smoke-Screen