*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167041-Lord-Ekron
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2167041
Flash fiction - 300 words, using lost, fire, drink
As he had many times before, Ekron sat at a table near the front of the inn with a mug of ale in his hand and his thoughts lost in the dancing flames of the fire. He had yet to drink any of the ale, and probably wouldn't before the time came. Ale could bolster courage, but it dulled the mind, and Ekron needed all of his wits about him for the coming battle.

Known at one time as Lord Ekron, he cared little for titles and honorifics, having left the life of a lord years earlier. He had barely escaped with his life when the manor was overrun by thieves and cutthroats, killing Lady Antris, his wife, and many of his staff. He had been away and only learned of the horror days after it had happened. His many appeals to the king for justice had gone unanswered, so Ekron forged his own plan.

He had dismissed what remained of his staff and had begun rigorous training with the captain of his personal guard, spending most nights in alleys or inns searching for the identity of the killers. He had found and fought them, dispatching them one by one with only the leader, Lexor, remaining.

Having learned that Lexor would be at the inn tonight, he now waited calmly, if not patiently, for his final act of vengeance.

Lexor arrived at last and stood in the doorway, but strangely, carried no sword.

Ekron stood, turning to address him, "Have you anything to say before I end your miserable life?"

Kneeling before Ekron, with head bowed, Lexor said, "Only, my lord, that my life has indeed been most miserable. I pray that you end it!"

Walking past Lexor, Ekron left him at the inn, allowing no end to his misery.

© Copyright 2018 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167041-Lord-Ekron