*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167238-Proposus-Interruptus
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #2167238
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge entry. Prompt: Include a marriage proposal.

A squeal from the corner table drew the attention of everyone in the restaurant.

“OMG yes yes yes!” the woman gushed, practically leaping over the table to embrace the man on the other side who was holding a distinctive robin’s egg blue ring box.

Well that’s unfortunate, John thought as he realized he was about to be the second diner of the evening to propose to his girlfriend.

“I can’t even,” said his girlfriend Marsha from across the table. “Proposing in public like that? So tacky. At least he didn’t try to hide the ring in a dessert or something.”

John started to sweat. There was, at this very moment, a chocolate souffle in the kitchen being prepared as the delivery vehicle for the engagement ring he had purchased last week.

“It blows my mind that people think making a big scene is the way to go,” Marsha continued. “I’d rather have a quiet, intimate moment that’s just for us to share.”

This was bad.

John was about to make some excuse so he could dash off to the kitchen and pull the plug on the whole thing when he saw the waiter approaching with the souffle.

This was really bad.

John grabbed his fork, wresting the souffle from the waiter’s hands. He started stabbing the fork into the dessert, shoveling pieces into his mouth. Marsha watched in horror, too focused on John’s face to notice him scoop a glittering object into his napkin while he devoured the dessert.

“How rude of me,” John said. “Did you want some? It just looked so good I couldn’t help myself!”

John was sure he’d have a lot of explaining to do on the car ride home tonight, but at least he’d live to propose another day!



------------------------------

298 words
Prompt: write a story of 300 words or less which features a marriage proposal.

Originally written for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge and "I Write in 2018.

© Copyright 2018 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167238-Proposus-Interruptus