*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167838-Homecoming
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2167838
Coming home according to plan.
"I only have one house to show you Anna," the agent said. "Your requirements were very detailed."

The plan was working.

"39 Pine Street. A cape, with a great fenced in backyard."

"Sounds promising," I replied. As planned.

"Can you show me through?" I asked.

I probably could have shown her. Maybe some changes since I left, but likely not many.

New paint inside. Said I didn't like the colors. Might as well drive the price down.

Although truth be told, I was a buyer.

The backyard was indeed great. A playground growing up. Although Richard and Susan had always made me the "baddie." I was the Indian, or the spy, or the bank robber. They were always the "goodies."

The backyard also made a grand final resting place.

Closed the purchase two weeks later.

14 years earlier, "Destroyed," was what the headlines said. "Parents Killed, Children Missing," was the sub-head. "Twin brother Richard, and sister Mary, gone."

Yeah, Richard the rat and I were twins. Richard had popped out first. Lorded it over me as being "older." Only one of his lousy attitudes.

He was the popular one, including with the blonde bitch that lived next store, Susan.

Finally got to be too much, so I planted him in the backyard flower garden.

When Mom and Dad flipped, out... Well, collateral damage. I'd been Anna since, working on my plan.

My first night. I planned to visit Richard in the garden, and toast him with a martini. Lifting my glass, I heard a cough behind me.

"Mary, or whatever you call yourself these days, welcome back," Susan said.

Turning, I replied, "you always were sneaky."

"Part of my job as a police detective, to put away killers, even if it's 14 years late."

Well, no plan is perfect.
© Copyright 2018 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167838-Homecoming