*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2168246-Summer-Time
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2168246
Entry in the 9/5 Flash Fiction Prompt
Fern loved the summer. Every year when Elementary school let out “summer” became an endless future and the idea of a new year so remote it barely registered. Instead of schedules, work and the same old classrooms, Fern would fill her days with games, movies and hours of TV.
And so it went. But first came four weeks of camp. Being her first extended time away, it was hard. The camp was pretty, and the councilors nice, but the lack of familiar things felt like an anchor. And the schedule seemed endless. Where was her time? Finally, her mother arrived to take her home. “At last the days will belong to me.” There was still so much summer left.
And so it went. But first, Fern’s mother thought it would be “a good idea to do some volunteer work.” So every day she took the bus to the Volunteer Center downtown and did whatever needed doing. It was hard and some of the places kind of smelly. Still, there were a few nice things. She liked playing with the littler kids and the grownups were nice. But there was no time for her friends, or games, or TV.
And then one morning Fern’s mother walked into her bedroom and said she did not have to volunteer that day. “After all you start school the day after tomorrow.“ Fern’s mind raced, “How? What happened to my summer?” Her mother started to leave. “But, I don’t want to go back there!” Fern cried as tears started to form. Her mother looked at her and smiled. “Don’t worry honey, you don’t have to.” Fern couldn’t believe it. “Really?” she asked. “Of course not dear,” her mother said as she turned to go and make breakfast. “you start Middle School this year.” (299 words)
© Copyright 2018 LifeJourney (moonjc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2168246-Summer-Time