*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2168344-Saving-the-Planet
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2168344
Three Minute Read
“Why couldn’t you just leave me.” Gerald said, quietly.

“I can’t make you go back; you could choose to stay. However, you of all people, know what that would mean.”

“Do you see this flower Alan?”

“It’s very lovely sir.”

“We have nothing like this.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“They let the flowers that were not edible die off. Animals too. If I stay here, I can save them.”

“You know you can’t, Sir. The fate of this flower is as inevitable as the fate of the dinosaurs. However, if you come back with me there is a good chance that you can save this planet.”

“Why do you have such faith in me? I am just a man, like any other.”

“That’s not true. The prophecy has told us who to look for. For generations, we have waited and watched. You are the person. You cannot escape that fact; you can only choose to fulfill the prophecy, or let us all perish.”

“Gerald looked up at Alan. “That’s not entirely true. Did you know this year was the year the prophesy was written? It was written by a time traveler. It was written by me. This is actually my fifth trip back, but this time I believe I finally know what to do. If I am successful this time, I won’t need to write the prophecy.”

“How will you know?”

“I will wake up. You will not be here, because you will not be a soldier of the prophecy. There will be no prophecy, the planet will already be on the right path. I will not remember my past life in 2516 because I will be here doing the right things, saving the planet, now, while it’s still beautiful in 2018.”

“I wish that were true,” Alan said.

Gerald woke up.
© Copyright 2018 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2168344-Saving-the-Planet