*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2168360-Kirayus-Chapter-One
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2168360
W.I.P; Once
         
Last Words
Chapter One
Nation of Kirayus Defense Camp, Main Tent
“Before you, my Commander General, Great Generals and Generals, with my last breath. I, your King… Arkin Dorren Ejin who has long ago lost my queen and without an heir name this man Haale Luther Orren … as my… successor.”
Nothing, but the sound of the flicker flames from torches found within the tent along with stun silence filled the air. Each present general clad in the obsidian black cast iron armor of the military force, to their superiors with their same armor and long dark colored sleeveless coats, the king’s attendances, others including Haale himself knew not what to say.
“My King…”
“Kasarra what is the meaning of this, what have you and he done to our King?”
“Darten, show our King respect.”
“My Lordship you should save your strength.”
“What more can we do for him.”
“Silence!”
Even within his weakened state, King Arkin found the strength of voice and of his authority to silence the growing discourse among those around them.
“Why I still have the breath in my lungs… and the sense within my mind to make the decree of the decision, I have made in the choose of whom I see fit to lead you and protect our people within this time of struggle…and beyond.”
“No matter what blood runs through his veins my lord,” demand General Darten Nen Altsight?
“Yes… for even with that blood, he has shown that he… is more than what others believe he is… and the truth is that I knew both of his parents, trusting them with my life more than many of you have known.”
Rumbles of words were heard and ignored for the moment.
“Haale,” said Arkin before a coughed and struggle for air caused a hesitation, “come to my side,” he then said once recovered.
The dryness in his mouth and the coming to terms with the words he and the others heard is what caused Haale’s hesitation. In addition, the King knowing the truth of his parents, of his mother, King Arkin had a connection to his parents. How? How deep was this connection he revealed truly?
In his silence, Haale moved to the King’s side finally and kneeled on one knee taking the place of one of Arkin’s personal servants as the ankle length leather coat armor those like he and Kasarra wore splayed around him.
“My King.”
“Raise your head he that will take my place.”
Haale did as he was told.
“Alaya, remove my ring,” Arkin then ordered to his other servant still at his side.
The mild brown short haired woman with a skin tone close to the color of honey hesitated looking to those around them sensing before witnessing for herself the eyes of Great Generals and others who were not in a discussion about what was transpiring upon her.
“My…my king…,” she stammered.
“I need you to do this for me and the kingdom, Alaya,” Arkin urged gently.
“Yes, Sire” she replied with a bow of her head.
Alaya reached out for the King’s weak hand and placed her fingers on the kingdom’s ring.
Her action caused one of the Generals to step forward only to be stopped by another stepping within their path. It took a few moments of nerves persistence on her part, working, her heart heavy before she found success in the royal symbols removal. She placed the ring in Arkin's hand with another moment’s hesitation and bow of her head once more she took a step back.
“As the man that I have chosen to lead this country,” Arkin began drawing Haale and those around him full attention hearing this great man’s struggle, “among the witness of our Kingdom’s Commander General, Great Generals and those that support myself and Kirayus I give you the Sigil ring of the throne. And passing on this symbol of our country I also pass on all of the responsibilities, powers, and secrets belonging to the ruler of Kirayus.”
Arkin placed the gold ring within Haale’s hand and closed it with some effort. A single cough escaped the King’s lips as his body relaxed and eyes shut drawing both attendants back to his side. Rising moving aside Haale held the ring of the nation of Kirayus tight within his closed fist.
“That ring and all that comes with it is now yours,” said Kasarra coming to Haale’s side bowing her head to him, “Your Majesty,” she added.
“You speak bla…,” started one subordinate generals.
“She speaks the reality of this day,” interrupted his Great General.
“We stand witness to the succession of King Arkin Dorren Ejin to our kingdom’s new ruler, King Haale Luther Orren,” stated the Commander General of Kirayus a somewhat large male with dark skin, and a well-kept mustache and goatee colored raven along with his braided neck length hair.
Also around his waist rested something that looked as something slightly thicker than a snake that one could find slandering through the grass in some areas colored almost the same tone as the Commander General himself. Covered by scales instead of flesh along with thin tendrils of sort a long its length that often went unnoticed as he unfurled the appendage allowing one of the traits of a Zansin show hanging behind him.
“And he deserves the same respect we all give to His Majesty King Arkin,” state a female Great General with raven black shoulder length hair pulled back into a tail with light reddish-brown skin.
Haale watched as dressed in full great general armor Great General Salease August was the first to bow her head in the act of showing the respect she spoke of. Her actions drew a glance of surprise from others before they followed in suit.
“You have no real choice in this matter King Haale,” said Kasarra as she took a step back lowering herself to one knee head still bowed.
Haale watched as one by one the others within the tent started to bow to one knee some quicker than others. What he saw and knew as the ice-cold stare of resentment in some of the generals that all this time saw him as below them smoldering as their eyes went downcast. In truth he was in terms of rank, below then, but they also saw him as less than them as a man, as a person.
Now, even Great General after Great General, even some with hesitation and glances of contempt for Haale, and for the King’s choice bowed their heads as well. Leaving those that weren’t the rank of general to follow Kasarra’s actions except for King Arkin’s attendants who worked to keep King Arkin's comfortable.
But what of King Arkin…?
This was it. This was the end of King Arkin's life or he would not have passed on the ring and the throne. Out of all that were present that could have become the next ruler, Haale was chosen. Haale was chosen because of what? Because of what Haale did here and now or throughout his service to Kirayus unknowingly being watched by agents of His Majesty among those times he sensed eyes on him? Or was it because of the relationship King Arkin briefly spoke of just a few moments ago with his parents?
“Forgive the interruptions,” came the voice of a scout dropping to one knee, her head bowed in respect to those of the command structure and the king himself. “I am here to report word of approaching enemy reinforcements coming from the Empire of Ana. The garrison request reinforcements to protect the village of Corren that is home to the garrison.’
“King Arkin is gone,” said the King’s servant closest to Haale so quietly that her voice almost went unheard.
“King Arkin is dead,” the scout repeated lifting her head for the first time also becoming witnesses to what was occurring before her.
“Move aside,” one of the generals who remained silent until now said to the servant.
Removing his heavy iron gauntlets the older male placed two fingers to the side of King Arkin's neck searching for a pulse. After a moment of searching, he leaned forward placing his ear close to Arkin’s mouth and listened. His features shifted slowly but pronounced with his mouth changing to a mournful line and his eyes expressed sorrow. This general had come to the same conclusion. The old King was no longer of this world and he used the last of what strength he had to place the next in front of those that knew him the best.
Those that could not dispute that he was of sound mind even with the fatal injury that consumed the last of his life. His choice…
“We need to prepare King Arkin for the return to the Capital, so he can be properly put to rest,” said Haale looking to Alaya and the other servant to Arkin in turn. “When ready we will all fall back and reestablish a new line as we prepare to finish the elimination of the last of enemies footholds within our borders.”
“And what of the reinforcement and the village of Corren further to the north, Your Majesty,” Kasarra questioned still in her kneeling position head down.
“I will lead a platoon to the North and…,” Haale replied taking the ring he held and placed it on the ring finger of his left hand.
“With all due respect Sire,” interrupted Commander General Italiz Caleen Thron sternly, “we have just lost King Arkin and it would be fool-hearty for we military commanders to allow the new king to head into danger within the same hour he has become the successor. It is best for you, Sire, to return to the Capital as soon as possible along with the late king Arkin.”
“And as Kasarra asked me, what of Corren Commander General Thron,” Haale responded calmly.
“They will have to fend for themselves,” Thron responded with clear calculation in his tone.
“And is that what King Arkin would have done Commander General? Would he leave Corren in the situation it is facing as well as allowing the force of invaders to gain a foothold when they are nearly pushed out?”
“He would have done as you suggested Sire, however, this situation is not one that King Arkin is facing. And there is no guarantee that you will be able to do what is needed at this moment let alone succeed unscathed.”
“I’m relying on the troops to help me succeed,” Haale replied moving to the mouth of the main tent before pausing to look back to the military commander as well as the other generals, “and as for succeeding unharmed I will trust in my training… And the blood that flows through my veins.”
Haale stepped through the mouth of the tent taking a calming breath even though he didn't feel the need at the moment. Once a soldier equal in rank to a commander, though only in the ranks of the Egin, he was now king with the present duty to follow through with helping Corren Garrison. He would have to collect troops and move quickly to stop the reinforcements from their neighboring country as well as protect those… those that he now ruled.
“Sire,” Kasarra called out.
“Your Majesty,” said Great General August both from behind him.
“Kasarra, what are you doing,” said Haale turning to look at the two women before focusing on Kasarra.
“What I have always done, Your Majesty, I am still your partner,” Kasarra replied. “Unless you have orders or feelings, a belief that our relationship should change now that you are King?”
“No, I haven’t. General August do you have an issue as well with my decision?”
“No, Sire,” the Great General replied with a quick bow of her head, “however, Commander General Thron stated a fact that I agree with, it would be fool-hearty to allow our new king to come to harm so soon after losing our last. As such, I have come to act as your personal guard within the current state of affairs as well as offer my platoon as your support, Sire. Unless you feel I have overstepped my authority in this instance.”
“No. We need to move quickly. The both of you come with me.”

Region of Jiasichan, on Route to Corren
A platoon along with the addition of two squad followed Haale with Kasarra and Great General August at his flanks riding hard. Over forty soldiers of both men and women followed split nearly in half between rangers armed with crossbows and swordsmen and women both clad in the Kirayus’ military armor of black casted iron chest plates, gauntlets and helmets all simply made to give protection as well as the wearer the ability to move. Their horses adored in the same iron type armor galloped across the terrain with ease and across the bridge that separated the village of Corren and beyond from the main body of the Kirayus within an hour of leaving their position.
Quickly the newly reinforced wooden wall came into view at the far end of Corren. Now higher than when Haale had seen it last happening sometime before the first word of the north’s interest in war. Once a wall just slightly higher than the two-level structures and simply homes with a gate built into it now was twice that with the tops of the large logs made into spikes. Movement became visible near the halfway point of the bridge at the top of the fortification along with scaffolding left from the newer construction.
Suddenly, the body of a soldier was seen falling as if were thrown from the walls top platform.
“Sire,” Great General August called out, “the enemy reinforcements are close. I suggest that you allow my troops and I to fight on the frontline, while you…”
“Great General,” Haale said stopping her in mid-statement, “if you are worried about my safety so much then stay at my side, but do not again ask me to hide.”
Without waiting for a reply Haale demanded a harder sprint from his powerful dark brown colored horse galloping at full speed into the paths of Corren.
“He is a lot like King Arkin in this way Great General August,” Kasarra said load enough to be heard over the hooves of the horse beating against the ground and the clink of armor.
What citizen within the road quickly moved aside watching as more of the kingdom’s military rode through the streets. All but one, a woman with brownish-red hair seen under a white scarf wrapped around her head caught Haale’s attention in the moment as she simply seemed out of place, as well as felt.
Haale brought his horse to a stop at one side of the gate near the closet latter leading to the top of the scaffolding.
“Where is this garrison’s commanding officer,” Haale asked one of the soldiers directing the moving of the dead soldier’s body.
His body motionless seemed to be undamaged from anything in terms of weapons while his armor seemed to be crushed from what could be seen.
“Corren Garrison commander is located on the wall,” he responded than quickly saluted once he realized the approach of Great General August noting the dark coat she wore over her armor along insignia on her chest plate, “these reinforcements are greatly appreciated.”
A spark in the air, something beyond the wall drew Haale to dismount. With no further hesitation he was halfway up a nearby latter before both Kasarra and Great General August brought their horses to a stop next to his along with a Great General August third in command. The three followed Haale upward.
On top rangers stood to fire volleys of crossbow bolts in rotation of one-line firing while another line dropped down for cover to load another bolt in their weapon. Haale moved quickly and remained low both to use the fortification wall for both protection as well as to block the sight of the oncoming army of his presence. It was something that made Haale more than unease the moment he reached this forward position.
“What the hell are you doing here half breed,” a male perhaps a few years older than Haale, demanded taking his attention from firing his own crossbow?
Haale found a place near the center of the wall where the first death he and the others witnessed along the wall accrued disregarding the demand.
“Your Majesty,” Kasarra said as she, Great General August and her third arrived fallowing the same method of approach as Haale did moving quickly and staying low as each of them were allowed to move at their best.
“Your Majesty,” the garrison’s commander questioned fully aware of the presence of a superior officer.
Haale didn’t respond to either, however the way in which Kasarra said, “Your Majesty” said that she felt the same unease as he felt beyond the wall. He rose in rotation of the next round of firing rangers and saw what…
“Are those what I think they are,” Kasarra said in disbelief.
“Yes, Commander, Egin Orren was named successor to King Arkin, “Great General August responded to the garrison commander. “What are they,” she then asked seeing what Haale and Kasarra saw.
Nothing other than a manmade pathway through mostly flattened grassland laid between the wall that guarded Corren and a forest tree line. From that tree line more soldier from the north charged clad in their nations dark-blue and silver full body armor from head to toe hiding their identities. However, the armor of the vanguard approaching was no match for the distance and skill afforded to the rangers and power of heavily tight line pulled by a metal base mechanism. Each bolt pierced cleanly through their chest armor staggering the victim before their bodies dropped in death or at death's door.
Only swordsmen charged at them leaving those in the tree line hidden accept for those that Haale and Kasarra recognized. They stood in plain sight. Five of them standing just a few steps away from the trees slender and slightly taller than those that were human marching before them and dying. Black in flesh, or what might be called flesh of pure darkness, of shadows covered their bodies with red eyes slanted and pitch-black prism at their center. Mouths, noses, ears more human-like than any human that did not know of these beings cared to admit when they first saw them. Other than their physical characteristics their differences from humans and being of the realm of demons that the brave would see them as another creature to be killed. And then that’s when they learned.
“Garrison Commander,” Haale ordered, “order a full evacuation of the village as well as the garrison. No one is to be left behind. Great General August we will use the swordsmen and women we have brought with us to help with the evacuation while having as many rangers on this wall as possible. Also send a squad of swordsmen back across the bridge to meet the villagers as well as to prepare the destruction of the bridge. For the time being this area will have to be forfeited until we are prepared to face something like this.”
“Who are you to give me orders let alone allow this garrison to fall,” the Garrison Commander demanded.
“You heard his order’s Garrison Commander and you are well aware of whom I said he was,” Great General August stated immediately with authority, “have your people relay the orders and begin the evacuation of Corren and Corren garrison. And that’s an order Garrison Commander.”
The young commander face went cold wishing to say one thing, but well aware that he had no chance against a Great General compared to a half-breed Egin. He was no king. He was not his king.
“Relay the instructions given, and be quick about it,” the garrison commander order a nearby subordinate.
“Immediately commander,” he replied before leaving his position with necessary speed using the wall as cover.
“Commander,” another of the Ranger called out.
Both Haale and Kasarra drew their swords out of instinct the warning echoing through them less than a moment before the Ranger gave his direct commander the warning of movement.
A pair of Scray left their position at the tree line in an instant running before their physical bodies became that of black smoke before the eyes of the all. Crossbow bolts passed through the masses of smoke before they crossed the wall top and reformed into a solid form.
“Move, now,” Haale ordered with sword in hand as he pushed his presence into the blade the air rippling faintly around the steel.
He slashed outward hitting the closest Scray with a grazing blow at the moment its form became corporeal doing little damage, but enough to force a pause. Its body took the blow of an explosion of air pressure mixed with something more lunched from Kasarra’s extended out hand. Haale drew the same energy that rippled through and around his sword to his free hand and let it explode in the same manner Kasarra did. The impact slamming into Scray’s body slammed the creature into the vacated wall. It sat stunned before it took on its mist form and retreated.
Great General August with her sword in hand slashed at the other Scray with a two-handed grip as it attempted to slash its claws at one of the Rangers closest to it as two others fired bolts that did nothing to the Scray. Her slash connected but did little to what was stain looking flesh around its body drawing the Scray’s attention to her. It turned quickly slashing at the Great General with its claws causing her to parry back and lift her sword in a high two-handed defensive position. She swung her blade once more aiming for the creature’s neck and stunned by the its speed.
The Scray’s other claw ripped through the Great General’s coat, armor and flesh of her left side.
An arrow flow through the air as Great General August stumble back a pair of steps catching her balance on the last step holding her blade in a downward guard stance out of reflex instilled in her by years of training. A second, then third than a fourth arrow fired in quick succession stroke into the creature fallowed by another explosion of air pressure that lunched this Scray as well.
Its body smashed into the side of the wall stunned like the first like the other as Haale saw the flash of agony on Great General August’s face. He moved quickly to grab her before the she fell like the soldier that died. He let his sword drop at his side placing his freed hand to the Great General August’s wound as the consciousness slipped from her eyes.
“Refill the line and keep them back,” Haale ordered as he concentrated
Kasarra released another surge of power that stroke the mass of the retreating Scray knocking it away. The shock-wave broke the mass shadow state and forced another explosion that stroke the body of the creature once more sending it flying through the air before crashing and skidding across the ground.
“You heard His Majesty’s orders, fall back inline and continue your barrages,” the owner of the bow said, a woman with reddish-blonde hair down to her neck pulled back into a tail with cream colored skin tone.
She moved quickly wearing armor similar to that of Haale and Kasarra relaying more on a leather vest armor of dark color with embedment of black metal chainmail on the armor for movement. Holding her bow in hand and quiver of arrows seen across the small of her armors back as she ducked down using the wall as a shield as she approached Haale and Great General August.
“You heard the orders, fall in,” the Garrison Commander ordered between firing another bolt from his crossbow and ducking to reload before aiming its next bolt at the creature that injured Great General August.
Haale placed Great General August on her side as his focused his presences, the natural power of his Zansin blood to combat the curse of the Scray that now coursed through the Great General. He focused relaying on the presences of Kasarra and those around him to cover the both of them as he searched the wound with his limit abilities holding the energy of the Scray at bay of moving farther through the Great General’s body as he was once taught as a child. The Scray’s energy flowed and multiplied by the second like unseen serpents. Haale focused more on taking the energy he had to reach out clamping down mixing his with those of the Scray’s. He was forced to exert more energy than he wished causing a groan of pain to escape the Great General’s mouth as his presence went too far, yet he found success in displacing the energy of the Scray. As a result, black energy flowed from Great General’s wound into the air. Though it wasn’t stopping the flow of blood.
“Your Majesty, Great General August needs medical attention,” the archer said urgently as those that ascended to the top of scaffolding as part of Great General August’s platoon without a word filled in the positions along the top of the wall with four rangers falling into position in front of Haale fallowing the same rotation tactics as those already in battle.
Corrine was right, and Haale knew it. The general was losing blood and in truth he had no idea how deep her physical wounds could be. With slight strain he shifted his focus swaying away from the use of what felt almost natural to something different.
Over the sounds and the feeling of combat Haale focused on forming the image of four rings surrounding an empty center. Within of those rings were inverted Chevrons pointed inward toward that center equaling eight chevrons in each of the four rings ending in the count sixty-four in total.
“Rune of Life and Death,” Haale said outload.
Between his hand and the damaged fabric, armor and flesh a bronze almost film of light the size of his splayed opened hand bring a form of what he pictured in his mind to reality. And through that focused shape Haale struggled to heal the Great Generals wounds, stem the bleeding unaware of what else to do.
“There is a woman said to have been given refuge by King Arkin who is skill in healing,” said Corrine. “She goes by the name of Afeesa.”
“Please find her quickly,” Haale said his voice somewhat strained in concentration.
“Immediately Sire,” she replied before quickly moving to the closer of the two latter, slipping her bow over her shoulder before descended out of view.
Below wagons were on the move both from the garrison as well as from homes and small farms to the main path linking the gate and the bridge to the south of Corren. Fallowing the orders given, the swordsmen and women of Great General August’s platoon were at work collecting transport and equipment from what she saw as they moved from structure to structure informing those citizens still unmoved of the needed evacuation. Finally, Corrine in her surveying of the area spotted the armor and sash of one of the swordsmen stationed within the Corren Garrison.
She moved quickly with no obstacles between she and the garrison soldier. He was stopped by another swordsman who was an addition to Corrine’s platoon. She only heard a small part of their conversation before she herself was noticed by the additional platoon member.
“Do we have further orders from the Great General- or… our new king Huntswoman Zela,” said the platoon member standing at attention?
“No,” Corrine responded, “I am in search of information about a woman named Afeesa said to be here in Corren. She is said to have skills in healing and those skills are needed immediately on top of the wall.”
Both Corrine and the additional platoon member turned their attention to the Corren Garrison soldier.
“My name is Afeesa,” said a woman standing close by.
“It seems we did enough to keep the other Scrays from advancing while the other two haven’t moved from its recovery position,” Kasarra told Haale as she stood at the wall in view of both the soldiers and the creatures as the two creatures just stood looking upward at her along with the others farther away.
The rangers along the wall now filled the structure from end to end held the advantage with both height and distance. Even so most if not all, knew that at any moment this advantage could change quickly if any of the pitch-black human-like creatures decided to advance once more as those already on the wall witnessed. In addition, if the enemy army brought their bows and arrows, crossbows or any other projectile weaponry from the tree line the scales could shift. The question of why they hadn’t, was something that went unsaid, but those with combat experience shared it silently and watched for any signs of the answer before it was too late. Or perhaps the answer was already there.
The enemy was relying on the power of the Scray for their advance and failed with their commanders of the reinforcements not yet receiving word of the issue. That also explained why they were still sending swordsmen to be shot down, unless…
“Sire, is there a chance that there is a Necro among their forces,” Kasarra asked?
“I don’t know,” Haale answered his voice distance as he focused on Great General August’s wounds continued as she now laid motionless, “Damn’t,” he then swore.
The flow of blood was successfully being stemmed. To say it was difficult for him to use the Rune of Life and Death, even at such a low level, was an under-statement as both his and Kasarra’s limited skills focused far more on the use of their natural Zansin abilities and applying those skills to combat. Even so, he was not unware that the curse was swallowed flowing out of the barrier the container, whatever any wished to describe it as in tried to create believing he had dispelled enough of it to be managed.
“Haale,” Kasarra said sensing his struggle.
“I need you to focus on the battlefield, Kasarra,” he responded his voice tight with efforts.
“I understand,” Kasarra responded verbal.
But also, in doing so she reached out through the already active bond lending him her strength, her understanding. With little choice focus deeper into the use of his own persona over the use of the Rune Art knowing himself and what he had far better.
Unlike when he started, attempting to pluck and cut out the curse like weeds now he was forced into performing a controlled burn of the land. With that decision he watched as the Great General struggle as he poured his power into her wound mixed with what Kasarra lent him. An offset of sorts that allowed he strength to even out with Kasarra’s, so it would not burn Great General August from within as it burned at the energies of the Scray’s curse. That was what he wanted. To destroy what he could no longer withdraw. And with one last forceful pulse Haale found successes.
A shift in the air caused Kasarra to carefully look over her left shoulder out the corner of her eye as well as trying to keep her attention of the battlefield below. It was a pressure different than the familiar presence of what Haale was exerting in his attempt to help the Great General. Haale's eyes focused on the two that approached as well.
It was the same woman he saw when they first approached the wall followed by Corrine. Dark haired with cream colored skin wearing a white scarf over her head. How did he nor Kasarra not perceive her power until now?
“How is her wound,” Afeesa asked as she came to a stop kneeling nearby as Corrine stopped between she and Haale.
“She was slashed through her armor by a Scray,” Haale replied after a moment’s hesitation taken time to study the woman’s face and eyes trying to read her intentions. “I did what I could to hold off the curse’s affliction before trying to attend to the Great General physical wounds, though my skills are limited, and I was force to move more drastically in what I did.”
“Understood,” Afeesa said with a nod before looking down at Great General August showing a glimpse of the change of her eye color before stretching her hand over the Great General’s wounds. Quickly the raven hued of a different of something different over took the Bronze of the rune Haale managed to summon with other ease. “Rune of Life and Death,” she than said exerting a great power than anything he witnessed the use of Rune Arts.
Haale art recede as well as he did. He then\ retrieved his sword allowing Afeesa room to do her what they sought her out for.
“Sire,” Great General August First Commander called out and paused looking to Great General August, “Sire, what has happened to Great General August?”
“She was wounded in combat with an enemy we as a military are not yet ready to face,” Haale admitted without emotion, at least not any that but Kasarra heard as well as felt. “First Commander, report. There is nothing more we can do for the Great General beyond the attention she is receiving.”
“Understood,” the First Commander replied with a slow nod before bowing his head, “the evacuation of the civilians of Corren village is nearly complete. A majority of the villagers’ have taken what they can carry on their person as well as what room allowed on the carts and wagons we were able to find. Most are already halfway across the bridge as we speak, Your Majesty. With your permission, the garrison soldiers can begin to follow the civilians across to the other side.”
“What the hell is going on,” the Garrison Commander exclaimed.
“Sire,” Kasarra said after the Garrison Commander.
“What is it,” Haale asked as he rose to his feet both quickly and carefully turning away from Great General August joining Kasarra against the wall as she took another shot with the crossbow she was supplied not worrying much about her safety for now.
The instant he reached the wall Haale witnessed the cause for the reaction firsthand. One by one enemy soldiers that looked to be dead, killed by crossbow bolts slowly rose again. Each that rose moved at the being unsteady as if they were a puppeteer’s toy before quickly regaining some semblance of acting as close to a human soldier that they were before. Each took up their own or another sword and moved into an actual formation instead of blindingly charging like the others being shot down by crossbow bolts.
“Damn’t,” Haale swore slightly under his breath, it looked like Kasarra’s view of the situation was correct, “either Necros are hidden in the tree line or among the enemy soldiers themselves.” He then turned his attention to Great General August’s First Commander. “First Commander order the garrison to move with the civilians along with the swordsmen of the platoon, however, have the swordsmen move last as cover until those of us on this wall can meet with them. Also, have a wagon prepared for the transfer of Great General August and Lady Afeesa.”
“Immediately Your Majesty,” the First Commander responded before quickly rising and moving to the latter for his quick descent.
“Rangers of Great General August Platoon and of Corren Garrison,” Haale said loudly enough for most of them to hear. “Switch to using flame tip bolts against the soldiers that are rising from the dead.”
Suddenly, the closest Scray finally moved leaping into the air with his claws drawn towards Haale. As quickly as it approached Kasarra’s hand was already raised and released yet another explosion of pressure throwing the Scray backward before witnessing it be engulfed in black flames before its fall began. Both she and Haale turned to see Afeesa with a still outstretched hand towards where the Scray once was. All still while focusing most of her attention on Great General August and the use of the Rune Art of Life and Death never looking away from the Great General.
“King… King Haale,” Corrine said dried mouth at what she just saw from this woman along with the Garrison Commander, “with all due respect the use of flame tipped bolts may stop the arisen,” she continued focusing on the issue at hand,” but I am sure you understand that you may be giving the enemy a weapon to use against us through those flames.”
“I know Corrine,” Haale replied bitterly with having to make this choice, “but we are forced to give up both the village and garrison until we are better prepared to take it back and make it stronger once we return.”
“Understood, Sire.”
Haale and Kasarra watched closely as the formation of the arisen grew both in number as well as closeness to the wall. Using their gifts, the two also did their best to push away the still human soldiers that managed to avoid being stroke down by a bolt as Corrine added to their offensive firing arrows. She fired slower taking more time to draw her bow string to full for the power as she choice her targets with more care.
The first of the flame-tipped bolts made their mark aimed at the rear formation of arisen soldiers. Like normal bolts, these bolts looked the same other than glowing red-orange tips seen even with the light of the sun overhead. Like the normal bolts that did no damage other than précising these arisen enemy’s armor causing little to no reaction. Some pulling the bolts from their armor while other ignored them completely continuing their approach.
Then those flame tipped bolts ignited.
Sharp screams of inhuman painful horror escaped the first of the arisen to be précised by the flame-tipped bolt as red-orange flames engulfed the walking dead soldiers’ body. The first of them that was hit, it moved ran in panic knocking into other nearby arisen enemy soldiers managing to engulf a handful of them in fire slower than the first. Those flames moved quickly once they took hold spreading the pain more before the first fell to the ground. Their bodies turned to ash leaving like sparks of flame to feed on the grassland, exactly as Corrine was afraid of and Haale sure would happen when he gave the order.
“This is monasteries,” one of the rangers next to Kasarra muttered.
“These people were already killed either by us or by their own,” Kasarra said mournfully, “if they were alive in the first place and under the control of Necros. The use of the flame-tipped bolts and the way in which they turned to ash is both evidence of them being undead as well as finding freedom from those who forced them to continue on even after death.”
The next two newly arisen soldiers sent inhuman screams through the air as well as they struggling to put out the flames that engulfed the first as these flames continued to feed on them with nothing hampering the fires hunger. It was hard to watch even knowing what Kasarra explained
“We’re just helping to make those that are being brought back to life greater in number,” Kasarra remarked as she shot another still living or presumed living enemy soldier getting closer to the wall choosing to rely on the crossbow she had over her powers.
“I know,” Haale answered pushing another soldier then the next away setting up Kasarra for another shot while a different ranger taking advantage of the other. “But there is nothing more that we can do unless we can find the Necro or learn if these soldiers are already dead or not. And before you ask I am not ordering anyone to check or allowing you to go down their Kasarra.”
“Understood, My King,” Kasarra replied not trying to hide her irritation with Haale’s response. “I love you too Haale,” she then said so quietly that it went almost unheard.
“The two of you should try focusing if you are worried about if these enemies are human or not as well as if there are more than just Scray among those that you see of their numbers,” Afeesa said from behind them.
“Neither of us have the skill to sense pressure on those levels,” Haale answered.
Haale felt Afeesa’s eyes on him and then on Kasarra.
“I understand,” she said after a moment.
A groan escaped Great General August lips once more.
“Sire,” came the voice of Great General August’s First Commander.
Haale pushed another soldier away before docking down along with Kasarra as she reloaded her crossbow. He looked to the Commander as well as four other swordsmen kneeled with heads down to him.
“Report,” Haale told the male.
“The garrison is all but cleared to the last person leaving none at this end of the village, but those of us along this wall as well as needed swordsmen. We have also procured a wagon for the transport of the Great General as well as Lady Afeesa in addition to a method to lower the Great General directly onto the wagon immediately.”
“Good. Afeesa can she be moved.”
“Yes,” Afeesa answered after a moment’s study of Great General August’s wounds. “It’s best that we get her off of this battlement as well and away from this village back to the Capital. I’m sure you would agree with this or more this was your plan, was it not,” she finished looking to Haale.
“First Commander move the Great General down to the wagon and once she and Afeesa are on their way we will start evacuating the wall. Have our horse ready,” was Haale’s answer.
“Sire,” the Commander answered before directing the other men he brought up with him.
“Corrine, Garrison Commander.”
“Sire,” Corrine replied.
“Sire,” the Garrison Commander replied bitterly after a heard hesitation.
“Help me give the orders for Rangers to ready to retreat. Wait until the Great General is clear of the wall before creating a fire line with the flame-tipped bolts. The flames should give us time to escape back across the bridge with all of our troops.”
“Understood Your Majesty,” Corrine replied with a nod before ducking behind the wall making her way towards the far end of the wall remaining as low as she could while still moving quickly.
“Garrison Commander,” Great Generals August First Commander demanded after the Garrison Commander give no response.
“Understood,” he replied taking out his frustration on another enemy soldier with a shot to his head dropping him almost on impact.
“How long before we will return to reclaim this village and land my king,” Kasarra asked.
“I honestly have no idea, Kasarra. There is so much that is happening beyond this war possibly reaching its end. And neither we or the military as a whole are not ready to deal with an enemy such as the Forlorn.”
With that, Haale moved from Kasarra’s side and to the side of Great General August to aid in her movement. Two of the men with her First Commander unrolled a portable gurney of two strong poles and cloth gently moving their commander on to it. Haale joined two of the five soldiers on one side of the gurney and lifted it off the top of the scaffolding moving as quickly as possible while staying below the sight of the enemy reaching the far end of the wall in a few moments.
There a pulley system of an old lift once used to help move planks and other materials from the ground up to the scaffoldings waited. From below the sword, wielders were already in the midst of pulling up a replacement plank back into the once empty harness. It met them in time for Haale and the others to move the Great General on the lift.
“The five of you head down and aid in the finishing of our retreat,” Haale instructed the Great General’s First Commander.
“At your orders, Your Majesty,” the man replied.
Haale watched as those below lowered the injured Great General as carefully as possible. The wagon, the First Commander spoke of waited directly below with two horse and coachman at the ready.
“Sire,” Corrine said coming up behind Haale, “the Rangers are ready for the word to carry out your plan.”
“Thank you,” Haale replied waiting as he continued to watch the lift reach the floor of the wagon.
The moment it happened the swordsmen at the base quickly moved to unattached the ropes from the pulleys as well as secure the Great General as best they could. Afeesa quickly appeared and boarded the wagon as well along with two other swordsmen before the wagon pulled away from the wall. He waited a few moments longer.
“Corrine now,” he said.
“Understood,” she replied turning before giving the order to create the line and fallback.
It happened as quickly if not quicker than Haale had estimated once the first round of flame tipped bolts moved from thinning out the still growing number of risen soldiers to aiming at the grass. With the first sign of the grasses taking on the fire those along the wall’s top began their retreat to the ground one by one sliding down one of the two ladders. Haale took his place at Kasarra’s side as they left watching the others descent and movement to Corrine trusting in her skills. Soon enough there was no one left on the wall as the fire spread to the wall itself.
“Once across be ready to take aim and hold until the bridge is no more,” Haale ordered as he commanded his horse to move faster as he could, Kasarra and Corrine brought up the rear as Haale’s steed found his way to the middle of the group.
At the bridge’s opposite the requested troops waited with crossbows at the ready aim focused on Corren end of the sole connection to the rest of Kirayus. Haale brought his horse to a stop far enough away from the mouth of the bridge allowing the last of the troops to continue on until the final rider crossed with no sign of the enemy approaching, but the smoke of the burning grass and wooden walls of Corren was.
“Fire,” Haale ordered. “Make sure the bridge is completely destroyed.”
Bolts flew without a word of question arching upward before falling in a similar path hitting the heavy wood with echoing thuds as the others watched flames come to life and take hold. Bolts continuing through the air until crackling and smoking of the thick planks of wood feeding the hunger of the ever-raging flames. In time, it became hard to see through that smoke let alone breathe as winds blew it the group’s way forcing them farther back.
Finally, the moment of one final loud crack echoed through the air and the bridge clasped into the ridge below.
“Make way back to the main camp,” said Great General August’s First Commander.
“At the least, we left no one behind,” Kasarra said quietly to Haale as she rode next to him, “as you planned.”
“Yes, but it was still a loss,” he replied.
“And some will probably have an issue with this loss, Sire,” Corrine added, “even if it was the best course of action that you had in addition to the knowledge that you both have of what we faced.”
“Yes,” Haale accepted as he turned his horse southward, “I also know that many will have an issue with King Arkin's choice in making me the new Ruler of Kirayus.”
         
© Copyright 2018 AwilliamH (awilliamh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2168360-Kirayus-Chapter-One