*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2169201-At-The-Station
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Family · #2169201
On the Platform, after a long journey.
"It's in my hair," Usha complained, shaking her long braids.

"It's in my hair, too. And I've got some in my mouth," Kanaklata countered.

"I have it all over my clothes, and in my hair, and in my mouth. It's even gotten into my shoes." Uma, of course, had to top them off when it came to being dusty.

Her older sister, Kanaklata, and her twin, Usha, had tried to remain as neat as they could, but Uma didn't care about such things. She turned to Arun. "We need to have a bath. Can you take us to a bathroom?"

"I'll go ask Ishwar Bhai," Arun replied.

The girls' eldest sister, Gita, had recently finished school and immediately married Arun, as was the custom in the day. In fact, Gita was considered to have been married a little late, by ordinary standards. She was lucky to have got a fine boy like Arun. She and Arun had moved cities and set up house along with Arun's eldest brother.

Kanaklata, Usha and Uma were thrilled when their school announced an expedition to the very city where their sister now lived. They wanted to see their sister's new house, and spend time with their brand-new brother-in-law. They had heard from cousins that new brothers-in-law were a storehouse of chocolate and comic books. To be able to go and visit WITHOUT their parents there to say 'now now' and chastise them on something or other was almost too good to be true.

The school tour was to be undertaken by train. It would take three days and two nights to complete the journey. And the girls, if they were going with the school expedition, would not be allowed to stay at Gita's house, they would have to be with the other students, in the dormitory. Gita and Arun could, however, visit them at the station and the dormitory.

Trains, in those days, were fuelled by coal, and coal dust got everywhere. Including into clothes and shoes, though Uma was the only one to admit that it was in hers. Bathrooms on trains were just about okay to pee in. One tried not to poo too often, and as for bathing ... well ...

So now, seeing their brother-in-law at the station to receive them meant only one thing for the girls. A bathroom where they could bathe properly, and wash coal dust out of their long plaits.

But the rules did not permit them to leave the school group.

"I'll go ask Ishwar Bhai," Arun had said, walking off toward the Mathematics teacher, a tiny, balding man wearing the traditional dhoti-kurta which, Arun marvelled, he had managed to keep spotlessly white even on the train.

"Master," Arun called, as he neared.

The teacher peered up at him. Arun was a good head-and-a-half taller than he was. The teacher's face broke in to a huge grin. "Arun, isn't it? You and your brothers Dilip, Sudhir and Anil were all in school ..."

"We were, Sir, yes," Arun replied.

"And now you've married Gita, haven't you? She wasn't in our school, but she came to visit sometimes. Her sisters are here, somewhere."

"I know they are, Sir, that's why I'm here. They want to come home with me."

"That's against the rules,' Arun's Master scolded.

They gazed at each other for a moment, and then both burst out laughing. "I am still reminding you about the rules, am I? Haven't changed a bit, have you, since you played all your pranks from Kindergarten to tenth standard?"

"Well, Sir, it's just that Uma has coal dust on her clothes. She needs a bath," Arun said. "OW, OW, Sir! OW!"

He was being soundly whacked on the bottom with Ishwar Bhai's umbrella. "I still have to do this?" the Master was yelling, as he aimed. "I still have to beat you on the pants with my umbrella? How can you talk about those things so loudly in public?"

Arun had managed to skip out of reach. "So, Sir," he gasped. "Can I take the girls home, Sir? I'll bring them directly to the dormitory once they've bathed."

"I guess I never will be able to cure you off from breaking rules," Ishwar Bhai grumbled. "Take them, but mind, no delaying bringing them back. Or else ..." He brandished his umbrella.

"I'll be careful to be on time, Sir," Arun promised.
© Copyright 2018 THANKful Sonali LOVES DAD (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2169201-At-The-Station